The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

H&R American Double Action Serial Number Date

13K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  gdmoody 
#1 ·
I know a bunch of you guys are have knowledge of H&R firearms. I have a black powder frame "American" Double Action in 38 S&W. I think it is a earlier one due to the serial number under the grip. The serial number is 3052. Anyone one of you guys have the manufacture date it would be helpful.

#2 ·
Serial numbers mean pretty much nothing on pre-1940 H&R guns.

I will need pictures to ID the variation, which in turn will provide the approximate manufacture date.

#3 ·
Serial numbers mean pretty much nothing on pre-1940 H&R guns.

I will need pictures to ID the variation, which in turn will provide the approximate manufacture date.
Barrel has been changed out. This one is stamped 38 S&W cartridge. The original was not. The original was octagon as well, same length, no markings. I changed it out due to the bore was shot! It is an early BP frame. I have included the before and after pictures. I bought the pistol originally in a lot of old top breaks at $5 bucks a piece at a local auction. This was the only solid frame in the lot. The rest are top break H&R's, Iver Johnson's, an F&W and a Belgium Top Break "Cottage" clone of a Smith. I just tinkered on this one to have something to do. The re-finish pictures were taken when I was still re-assembling the pistol.

Gun Trigger Revolver Starting pistol

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

Firearm Gun Revolver Trigger Gun accessory

#4 ·
Is that the original trigger guard?

If so, and given that the original barrel didn't have the caliber marking, it is a American Double Action, First Model, 3rd Variation - which puts production between 1888 and 1897(no way to narrow it down further).

And as you already know, it is a blackpowder only gun. BP cartridges can be had. And they are easy to load if you "roll" you're own.

I like what you're doing with it. That nickel-blue contrast has some pop for the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.