H&R Arms .22 Rimfire Pistol

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rottielover, Jul 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rottielover

rottielover New Member

My grandmother recently passed down a pair of .22 rim fire pistols.

They both have ~2 inch octagon shaped barrel's and on the left side of the barrel it's marked

H. & R.ARMS COMPANY.
    WORCESTER.MASS.U.S.A.

On the top of the frame it's marked:

YOUNG AMERICA
    DOUBLE ACTION

It's a 7 shot. I've looked all over the gun and cannot find any other marks or stamps anywhere. I've been trying to find a serial number on these so that I could get more information about them, but have been unsucessful. I'm not a gun smith so I'd be afraid to try and take them apart.

She told me that she thinks she and her sister we given these guns when they were young women, so I'm thinking they were probably made somewhere between 1920-1940.

Can anyone tell me if there are stamps or marks someplace on these guns that's not readily apparent from the "outside" ?

Thanks in advance!
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi rottielover.....welcome to TFF. :)

Keep checking back. Our resident expert on H&Rs, Bill Goforth, should be along shortly.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the serial number is under the grips on the left side of the grip frame, grips must be removed to see. the young america double action was a very popular revolver in 22 rimfire caliber. they were chambered for the22 short rimfire cartridge.

is the caliber (ie; 22 rimfire) also marked on the left side of the barrel?

the importance of this is the caliber was only marked on the second model (1905-1941) and only the second model is considered safe with modern ammo.

the production era of the young america double action is 1884-1941 a very long time and lot of them were made. first model 1884-1904 were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures only and not safe with modern ammo.

if manufactured in the 1920's it should have the caliber marked on the left side of the barrel and a 6 digit serial number somewhere above 100,000 to 200,000.
    bill
  4. rottielover

rottielover New Member

Bill,

Thank you for the quick reply!

The caliber is not marked on the barrel of either gun.

The grips appear to be rivited on, IE it's not a screw like I'm used to with my other firearms. I have no idea how to remove the grips safely without damaging them, in order to see the S/N.

I'm going to clean them up, and then display them.

Can you direct me to information on how to remove the grips so that I can get the S/N's? When I display firearms I like to write myself a 3x5 card with all the info about the gun on it.

Thanks again!
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

with only the company name on the left side of the barrel this would be a young america first model 2 variation manufactured between 1898 and 1904.
    a young america of this era would most likely have a mid range 5 digit number.

i have never seen a h&r young america model that had the grips retained by anything but a threaded screw. the screw head is tiny but would be slotted for a tiny screwdriver blade.

your idea of cleaning and then displaying is the best for h&r revolvers of this era.
    bill
  6. rottielover

rottielover New Member

Bill,

Thanks again, I wasn't looking closely enough (nor had I wiped away all the grime that I thought I had).

First is S/N 5169
    2nd is S/N 9262

Surprisingly enough the lower S/N gun is in much better shape than the higher S/N gun. I had expected to find 5 digit S/N's per your post, yet they are very clearly 4 digit's.
  7. rottielover

rottielover New Member

A bit more detail in case it would help (current estimated value would be good for the 3x5 cards).

The gun S/N 9262 appears to have been broken at one point, and a nail used to replace on of the metal posts (the one right below the cylinder). I believe this is where the trigger reset spring must have been, because this gun's trigger will not reset on it's own once pulled. You have to manually move the trigger to the forward position in order to reset and be able to fire again. It does not *seem* to be that hard of a fix for someone a bit more qualified than I (or at least that has the proper tools).

This gun is also the "dirty" one of the two. Had more grit and grime, and has much more rust. If ammo was still made for these, this is the gun I probably wouldn't trust to shoot.

The gun S/N 5169 appears to be practically new. There are a few small rust spots starting around the muzzle, and another small area where a scratch was put in the gun and rusted (about 4 mm long under the cylinder). Other than that, if ammo was still made for these, this gun is in firing condition.
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the serial number of your two revolvers are one more indication of what i have supected, that there are more than one set of serial numbers for these revolvers, this is not uncommon as other models in H&R line also seem to have more than one serial number series. i will still stand by my age reference (1898-1904) but remove the serial number estimates. the one in bad shape is consistent with the used of black powder ammo and not well cared for.

the trigger return spring is not hard to replace but often is not cost effective to have it done by a qualifiied gunsmith. another problen is a lot of modern gunsmiths will not work on revolvers of this age.

the best use is to clean them and proudly display them as part of your family history.
    bill
  9. rottielover

rottielover New Member

Bill, thanks again!
  10. James Patton

James Patton New Member

Hi Guys

What is it about Grandmothers ! Bless them all. Mine , aged 93, after many years of badgering from my father has finally revealed the whereabouts of her H & R .22 Young America pistol which was hidden away and was only to be brought out in the case of a dire emergency. Anyway , it is in pretty poor condition and has the serial number 333-299 , so I am guessing around the 1930's . Yes, it is in the modern ammo range of years.

Do you guys have a better guess as to the year of manufacture ?

Regards James
  11. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

since there are no known actual H&R serial number records on pre1940 models and i don't have a lot of serial number data on this model your guess is about as close as anyone can get for now. sorry i can't be of any more help.
    bill
  12. stupac2

stupac2 New Member

Hey, I just got a similar revolver from a yard sale. It only has 5 shots, and I can't get the left grip off to look for a serial number. I can say that it has nothing on the left of the barrel (no .22 rimfire marker anywhere).

I'm vaguely interested in the history of the gun, but more interested in how to fix it. It was in a pretty poor state of repair, and I've gotten it to be (more or less) functional, but I can't get both the mechanism that rotates the chamber and the mechanism that pulls (pushes would be more accurate) back the hammer to activate at the same time. It seems that there's just too much room in there, but I think I might be missing something. Is there anything online dealing with repairing this little guy?
  13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the H&R Young America was also available as a 5 shot 32 S&W caliber. most likely there are several broken springs and maybe other broken parts of this black powder model (no caliber markings on left side of barrel).

repairing a H&R revolver in this condition can be costly and time consuming as most parts available are used and may not be any better than the ones in the revolver now. the only new parts available are some of the springs.
    the Young America models have a long production like 1884-1942; 1st model 1884-1904 and second model 1905-1942. numrich arms is the best place to look for replacement parts.
    bill
  14. stupac2

stupac2 New Member

I'm mostly interested in doing it myself, all I really need is a picture of all the pieces that are supposed to be there. There is only one spring that I've seen, under the front end of the trigger guard. But there are a couple of bent pieces of metal that are used as springs, one to force the hammer down the other to keep the trigger back. As far as I can tell the only thing that I'm lacking is some way to keep the internet mechanisms connecting the trigger to the hammer and the trigger to the bullet chamber(s) (don't know what it's called on a revolver) in place, the move out of place when the gun is tilted backward or forward. I suppose a little spring could have fallen out from inside there, but I have no idea how it could have been placed in there, reassembling the whole thing is a complete pain.

Although I'm fairly happy with its condition now, before none of the mechanisms worked at all, now it's almost reliably functional.
  15. skee84

skee84 New Member

I have a H&R .22 rimfire that was found in an attic. It has a stainless or chromed barrel with pearl handles. Its a 7 shot and everything seems to work great. Serial # is 283994. It has this under the left grip and on the butt, the 22 rimfire stamp is on the left side of the barrel. Does anyone have any idea how old it is and a value.