H&R Arms 22LR 7shot revolver

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by De2483, Apr 24, 2011.

1. De2483

De2483 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so I hope I am posting this in the right place.

I was recently handed-down a H&R Arms 22lr break-open 7 shot revolver. I am struggling to find much information about this gun. All my grandmother could tell me is that it belonged to my great grandfather and she thinks he had it from when he was in WWI. Other than H & R Arms, Worcester, MASS, U.S.A. on the top line and 22 RIM FIRE on the side of the barrel, there is no model information I can find. There is a serial stamped into the butt of the gun, 9024.

I would appreciate any information anyone can give me in regards to what model this is and an approximate age.

Also, it is in need of a little bit of a clean up. Cleaning the barrel and cylinder are no problem, but are there any other measures I should take? Some of the finish is gone from the cylinder, exit of the barrel, and a few small spots elsewhere. I know this is never going to be a pristine gun but it is a family hand down and I would like to keep it in as good of shape as possible.

Thanks again!
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

De2483,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your revolver is either a PREMIER or a SMALL FRAME HAMMERLESS - depending upon whether it has an exposed hammer or a concealed hammer. Tell me which it is and I'll be able to give you all the info you are seeking.
    ALSO - open the action, lift the latch - hold it open and pull the cylinder (unscrew it) and look for the "real" serial number stamped under the top strap. The "real" s/n will help date the piece.
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. De2483

De2483 New Member

Jim,

Thanks for the welcome. It is a hammerless model. The only thing I found when I pulled the cylinder was an "H" in addition to the 9024.

Thanks for the help!
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

De2483,
    The 'H' seems to show up on all of the Small Frame Hammerless pieces - so you have helped with some research.
    You have a 2nd Model (smokeless powder) either 4th (1914) or 5th Varition (1915). Variation depends upon the size of the "font" used for the barrel rib stamping. Without a comparison piece it is difficult to determine which is which and with this model the serial numbers are so confused and mixed they are virtually useless in determining variation.
    No matter which variation, the "standard" issue was Nickel plated with a 3" barrel and black, hard rubber grip panels. Options included: 2" (scarce BICYCLE variation), 4", 5" and 6" barrel; blued finish; .32 S&W (5 shot) or .22lr (7 shot) chambering; mother-of-pearl, checkered Walnut or Ivory grip panels.
  5. De2483

De2483 New Member

Jim,

Thank you very much for the help. Mine is the nickel plated, 3" barrel with the black, hard rubber grips. So I presume that means it is essentially a "base" version. Even so it is nice to know it is almost a century old now. This is the first very old gun I have essentially "inherited" so for me to hold something my great grandfather (who died long before I was born) held is very fascinating to me. Again I appreciate the help, thank you!
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

De2483,
    the "base" versions of all the H&R handguns seem to make-up 90+% of those found today.
    I'm glad to have helped out - heritage and family history!!!
    You're welcome and thanks for thanking.
    Just for the heck of it, here's a pic of an example with a 5" barrel in blue - the only one I've ever seen in this configuration:
    IMG_2034_3.jpg