1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R Arms 5-shot revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Ellsworth, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Ellsworth

Ellsworth New Member

I am looking for any information with regards to my great-grandmothers pistol which I have inherited. The hammerless 5-shot revolver has a 2" barrel, break top, auto ejector, pearl handle, and is nickel(?) plated. 73945 is stamped on the butt of the handle. H&R Arms Co. Worcester, Mass is stamped on the top of the barrel. 945 is stamped on the interior of the revolver. The pistol is in very good condition. When was it manufactured, what caliber is it, and what is it worth? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

your revolver is a small frame 'hammerless model' the caliber is 32 S&W. the shot 2 inch barrel models are sometime hard to date as the barrels were to short for the normal patent date markings H&R used on the longer 3 inch barrels. with out a caliber marking on the left side this would be a first model to be exact the serial number places in at a first model first variation manufactured between 1899 and 1903. there are no known factory serial number records so this is as close as i can get to date of manufacture. this is important all first model hammerless H&R revolver were manufactured for black powder cartridge pressures and are NOT SAFE with modern smokeless ammo.

the 2 inch barrel models alway will bring a small premium over the 3 inch barrel version. a average condition first model hammerless (75 to 80%) with 2 inch barrel will usually bring bring between $150 and $175 at auction.
    bill
  3. Ellsworth

Ellsworth New Member

B.Goforth,
    Thanks for all the info. This forum is great. I've spent some time researching this pistol with some success. However, you have shed more insight than any of my research! Thanks so much for your speedy response.:)