H&R arms co 9shot ammo recomendations

Discussion in 'The Ammo & Reloading Forum' started by bushmaster, Jan 11, 2009.

1. bushmaster

bushmaster New Member

I have my grandpas old H&R arms co. model 922 pistol that is in remarkably
    good shape. wouldn't think twice about firing it and need some advice on the ammo type. It doesn't have ammo type stamped on weapon. Mine was man. in 52' as it has the "M" series S/N. All you see nowadays are the .22 "zingers" and "Light speed" type ammo and I don't think this weapon was designed for that stuff. Any OTC ammo recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Bush
  2. bushmaster

bushmaster New Member

after reviewing other threads, I see that the model 922 is for 22 lr . Exactly WHAT is the difference between "standard" rounds and "hyper" rounds and where would I find them readily? I know the powder loads are different but I have never seen a box that says "standard" on it, only "hyper x" etc. What do I look for on the box?
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

H&R used the the letter code "M" in 1952, the common 22 long rifle ammo available at that time was high-velocity some time called HI-SPEED. the hyper velocity available today should not be used in your revolver. go to one of the big box sporting good stores and buy thier cheapest high welocity ammo (usually sold in bulk container) this should not harm your revolver at all. if you don't mind spending a little more standard velocity target load would be a good choice. i use a lot of remingon thunderbolt ammo in my 22's from this era.
    bill
  4. bushmaster

bushmaster New Member

thank you bill I look forward to shooting my granddads pistol as well as graduating my 12 y/o from his daisy to .22 pistol and rifle.
    thanks again sir.
    bush
  5. oneounceload

oneounceload New Member

or you can try a box of target-grade ammunition like Eley
  6. eka

eka New Member

I don't think you're going to have any problems with any .22 LR you buy. In the grand scheme of things, arms made in 1952 are just teenagers. I'm in the process of building an Alaskan Mauser on a 1908 action, which will give anything going today a run for it's money. Your firearm is plenty sound and robust, enjoy.

Keith