1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R Auto Eject Parts Clarificaton Needed

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Texas Bear, Feb 5, 2012.

1. Texas Bear

Texas Bear New Member

I need to order parts for a Pistol: H&R Auto-Ejecting Third Model 2nd Variation, Barrel shows Patent date: August 6 1889 October 8 1895.
    It has a hammer and looking at pictures posted by others, it is a Top Break, Auto Eject model.
    It has Auto Ejecting .38 S&W CTGE, on the side of the Barrel, and is a 5 shot. Blued.
    I am trying to determine which of Numrich parts classifactions apply:

Question 1. Is this a Large or Small frame, Old or New model,

Question 2. Looking at Numrich parts list, which option is correct for this model:
    New Model Large Frames, New Model Small Frames
    Old Model Large Frames, Old Model Small Frames
    Harrington & Richardson > Revolvers > New Model Large Frame Automatic (*) (1)
    Harrington & Richardson > Revolvers > New Model Large Frame Unmarked Top Break (1)
    Harrington & Richardson > Revolvers > Old Model Large Frame Automatic (*) (1)
    Harrington & Richardson > Revolvers > Old Model Large Frame Unmarked Top Break (1)

Question 3. Parts I need include the #22 Lever & #23 Lever Spring. The Numerich schematics show different shapes on different models.
    The schematic for the Large Frame Automatic shows the shape of what is on mine. The Small Frame Automatic shows a different shape.

Question 4. Part #31 on several schematics is a "Friction Spring." I do not find this part on my revolver. Should it be there and where?

Question 5. Mine has wooden stocks. Could these be original?
    Any Help Will Be Appreciated, so I get the correct parts.
    Thanks, Texas Bear

Attached Files:

2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

It's a LARGE FRAME NEW MODEL - made after 1904 - so look at the parts Numrich has posted under that designation.
  3. Jim K

Jim K New Member

The friction spring or quill friction spring fits in the quill (the hollow shaft the cylinder revolves on) and keeps the cylinder from free-wheeling and outrunning the cylinder stop. It is nothing but a curved spring set in a dovetail; they seldom wear out, but often lose tension or are broken by folks trying to remove them.

Jim
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Some friction spring slots will be on the left side of the quill - both work the same way.

IMG_1842_2.jpg
  5. Texas Bear

Texas Bear New Member

Jim & Jim, thanks for the information, it is what I needed and have the parts on order. The picture really helped. This one was missing the friction spring and no parts list or schematic show what is was or where it is located. Thanks, Don, Texas Bear :)