1. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

I need some help figuring out how to make one of these rifles work. The plug is in but nothing to hold the primer or nipple. Thanks.
  2. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    not quite sure what your talking about,the rifle uses a plastic holder for the 209 primer there is no nipple,these are reusable time and time again but can only be bought from the h&r site.try and send picture of breach for me to verify. old semperfi
  3. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Old Semperfi: I found the inserts on the HR site. Thanks. I can't send a pic but the breech plug has a recesssed face about 3/4in wide. It didn't look like the inserts were that large but I could be mistaken. Before you answered my post I was considering making a steel insert for the primer as that seemed to be all that was needed to make it work and would be a fairly simple matter to do. I find it odd that I have been in this location for over 20 yrs and this is the first one of these I have had come in. I didn't even know they made the dern things. Thanks again.
  4. old semperfi

old semperfi New Member

i live in southern indiana,old country boy at hear
    glad i helped,i also have an h&r barrel in stainless for my buffalo classic.i have about 30 of these inserts and they will last forever if cleaned after use and dried.the other thing i found out is they will shoot much better with loose 777 than with pellets.if you like the gun and plan on keeping it for awhile i would purchase at least twenty of the inserts.h&r at this time is no longer offering these guns or the bp barrels.if you cant get them soon give me a pm and i will send you one of mine until you receive yours,at least you can shoot the gun then. old semperfi
  5. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Actually, it's a customers rifle. It was given to him after a death in the family. He has never hunted with a BP and is wanting to start. The rifle appears to be in good shape except that the plug may be frozen but the steel and wood is in great shape. He is in no great hurry to shoot it and I will have to get him started when he's ready so I figure he has pleanty of time to get the inserts. Your offer and help is greatly appreciated and will surely be remembered. Thanks again.