H&R Cylinder play

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Kamy, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Kamy

Kamy New Member

Hi,

My H&R .38 auto ejector has a little bit of play in the cylinder at lock up. I am wondering if these are acceptable tolerances and if not, how would I go about tightening the cylinder up.

Radial gap play: .014" - .026"
    Rotational play - less than an eighth inch (I'm not sure how to get an accurate measurement of this)

The cylinder bores seem to align correctly with the barrel when viewing down the barrel and using a light source to view.

I am concerned with the axial movement. Is this play (.012" total) common to this type of auto ejector? Is it safe to fire this way? Should I look at repairing it or not bother and just put it away for safe keeping?

Thanks,

Karl
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

karl,
    this is a hard call without having the gun in hand but here what i do. find a wooden dowel that is the approximate size of the bore. it must be able to move in the bore under gravity. hold the revolver with barrel pointing into the air. work the action as if firing. do not release trigger (keep it held back) now drop the wooden dowel into the bore. if it does not drop all the way thru the cylinder onto the breech face do not fire as it will shave lead and may be dangerous. do this on all the chambers. the fore-and aft play is not as important as the alignment with the bore.
    bill
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2007
  3. Kamy

Kamy New Member

Thanks again Bill,

I'll try the dowel trick and post results. :)

Karl
  4. WILDCATT

WILDCATT New Member

B.GOFORTH:DO YOU MEAN THEY SHOULD NOT HAVE PLAY.I grew up with them and always warned againts standing beside them.even when new.
    :):):):D:D