h&r date model 930

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by hardknocks!, Jul 6, 2011.

1. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

Hello All
    wondering what year this one is made, h&r 930 serial # ATO82389
    also what did H&R use on their guns for plating? i know its not stainless but
    i would like to know what process they used.
    thanks a bunch.
    Mike
  2. Sprint

Sprint Member

Hardknocks,

The model 930 with serial number prefix "AT" was manufactured in 1979.
    The only plated finish used by H&R at that time was electroless nickel.

Sprint
  3. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

Hello
    thanks for the info.
    regards
    Mike
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Here's a couple pics of a late model 930 with "electroless nickel" finish. IMG_1500.jpg

IMG_1504.jpg
  5. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

nice looking revolvers
    whats your opinion on this type of finish?
    thanks
    Mike
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Mike,
    That type of finish is very durable - it takes oil similar to Parkerizing and is hard so it resists wear.
    BTW my 930 is a 1984 (BA prefix) - not too many made after it. Also, I got it NIB, so it's not had any use or abuse:
    IMG_1505.jpg
  7. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

thats a nice one you have there.
    well i won a BrandX auction for the 2 1/2'' 930 w/above serial number. should be here in a few days. not NIB though.
    thanks again.
    Mike.
  8. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Mike,
    You're welcome, glad to help out.
    Enjoy your new gun. I have several of the short barreled H&R .22s - at least two of them have surprised me with their accuracy, despite the short 2.5" barrel. I hope you will experience the same.
    Thanks for thanking.
  9. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

Hello All
    well i tried the 930 out today and all is not well.
    always fires in double action but it will lock up in single action and it seems like
    its on the same two cylinders and also when this happens the cylinder/crane opens up about 1/8''.
    any suggestions?
    this is a 1979 model 22lr.
    hope someone can help me out.
    thanks
    Mike
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

hardknocks,
    First thing to check is the "main spring assembly". Pull the grip panels, cock the hammer, capture the guide rod with a small paper clip, uncock the hammer and pull the spring, guide rod, guide rod washer and the "pusher" head out of the grip frame. If the problem is the most commonly seen - the "pusher" head will be made of nylon and probably in disintigrated condition. Let us know what you find. It sounds as though there are small pieces of that pusher head inside the mechanism that bind and in some cases may push against the aft end of the cylinder pin. This is a very common problem with the later 1970s and '80s H&R hand guns.
  11. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

hardknocks!,
    I've been thinking about this for a day or two now (I know, always dangerous and you can probably smell the smoke from where you are) however - if it only exhibits the problem when lining up two of the cylinder bores, it surely sounds to me to be a problem with the "ratchet" on the breech face of the cylinder. Check it out with a "glass" and see if there is some type of damage to two of the ratchet cogs.
    And thanks for correcting my info on the type of mainspring assembly on your piece. I'll have to commit that to notes and memory - I don't have a good date for the switch over to that type, but I'll wager it occurred around 1973 when the transfer bar ignition/safety system was introduced???????
  13. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

Hello all
    well first i took some brake cleaner and hosed out every nook and cranny.
    then oiled up like no ones business.
    took out the jewelers loop and found some rough spots and with tiny files and dental picks i cleaned up some areas where the arm turns the cylinder and also where the center piece locks the cylinder closed it didnt seem to seat very deep/good/proper.
    then a good cleaning. (wasnt much dirty).
    then i found the crane screw wasnt tight all the way so took care of that.
    also more oil as some rust could be seen inside the trigger area looking from the bottom.
    tried her out today with 100 rounds of cci shooting all in single action and the gun worked perfectly. the other ammo was federal bulk and when firing one can tell its much weaker then the cci maxis.
    so i am felling much better but more time and ammo will tell.
    shoots pretty accurate. heavy trigger double action but that just makes me better when i shoot the S&W 38.
    thanks for your help and insight.
    regards
    Mike
  14. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Hardknocks!,
    Thanks for the follow-up. Sounds as though you were able to use some of the suggestions provided combined with things you discovered on your own under close scrutiny. Good job. Glad your piece is in working order.
  15. hardknocks!

hardknocks! New Member

hello Jim.
    i recently read a good book on gunsmithing and it gave me some tips on what to look for.
    it also made me realize that it could take a good part of ones life to be a top notch gunsmith.
    thanks alot
    MIke