H&R date of manufacture by serial #

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by buzzy19, Jan 30, 2010.

1. buzzy19

buzzy19 New Member

I just joined a few minutes ago and am not sure I am doing this correctly. Please bear with me and do not hestitate to correct me.
    Just scaning the posts on the H&R 999, appears it is possible to determine the year of manufacture from the letter prefix in the serial #. Is this true and is there a list published anywhere? Any for sale anywhere?
  2. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

buzzy,
    I have the list. It is good for all H&R's, from 1940, until the H&R bankruptcy in 1986.
    It is NOT for sale, at any price!
    That being said, I will tell you what year your pistol was made, if you give me the letter prefix, and $ 10.
    Just kidding!!
    Here is a link to the list

http://www.e-gunparts.com/forum/readreply.asp?rep=33327&qt=31138&cat=24

Actually this only goes through 1982. Here are the prefixes through 1986.
    1983= AZ
    1984=BA
    1985=BB
    1986=BC

After the bankruptcy, it gets a bit weird, and I really have no interest in those H&R/NEF 1871 pieces, so I don't even pay attention to the later models.
    I have seen a list of all the later pieces, but I don't remember where.

Jim
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Bill G. has deciphered the post 1986 dating system - I'm sure he wouldn't mind posting it.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

it really is no big secret on the post 1986 serial number listing but it is just a lot of typing. all my other long answers are just cut and pated for the info we furnished the book book. basically they started over at A with the front letter for new england firearms and H for H&R 1871. example NA=1987. however the letter I seems to have been skipped.

i need to keep somethings for the book only.
    bill
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2010
  5. WhichWayToday

WhichWayToday New Member

I for one am looking forward to this book. Spring 2010 is not too far away!