The Firearms Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

H&R Defender 38 (& relatives) Research

30K views 39 replies 11 participants last post by  Shooter45 
#1 ·
Mr. Hauff,
This spring, I bought an H&R Defender 38 (stamped as such on the right side of the barrel). The details are as follows:

The H&R Defender 38's serial number is 6407. This number is both on the front of the grip frame, and on the side of it, underneath the black plastic grips. The number on the side has the letters M H stamped under it. I have still been unable to remove the cylinder to look under the top strap. The number 16 is stamped in small characters on the left side of the frame, near what I take to be the hammer pivot screw.

The company name and address is stamped on the top of the barrel. The back sight is adjustable for windage, and the front sight, which has a brass bead, is adjustable for elevation.

Thanks again, and let me know if there is anything else I can tell you about this gun. I am glad to see there are people interested in them.

#27 ·
Lanreazc ; Thanks for the heads-up I will take som pics. tomorrow and try to upload them.!!! Do you know how to do it ?? If so let me know as I have never done it before.

Thanks again Grumpy!!! Jim ps I'm a very young 65 yrs. so I guess that makes me a senior too Ha !!! my favorite pistol is the 1911 or 1911a1 I have some of both. See Ya !!!! Jim

#29 ·
Old Gun Guy, My name is Jim and my Forum name is grumpyautoman.! I just joined the Forum last week while looking for a pistol grip (one piece black plastic) for a defender 38 that I got from my father years ago. I took some pictures of it but can't figure out how to post them on the Forum.If you can help me out with this i would appreciate it.!!!! thr pistol appears to be in excellent condition both mechanically and externally Blueing. The serial # is 3828 on the left side of the lower butt with the M and the H like yours except the M is above the SN # and the H is below the SN #. Other than that it looks exactly like the one in your pictures on the Forum. Except my grip is broken. If i can figure out how to get the pics. on the Forum you can look at it. Sorry for being long winded but I'm new at this and I love guns especially 1911's If you reach me other than on the Forum I'll give you my E-mail. THANKS !!!!! Jim/grumpyautoman

#36 · (Edited)
Grumpyautoman, Jim Hauff stopped posted over a month ago, after having some health problems. I wish we could find out how he is doing. I'm afraid I don't know enough about these guns myself to be any help to you.

But you are on the right track if you put up pictures - they will help others here to tell you about your specific gun. Welcome to the Forum!
I was doing a search for images and such about the H&R 925 and discovered this thread.. ...I noticed Jim Hauff had responded with info, and that there had been replies to it recently.

I just wanted to let you all know that Jim Hauff(aka 32 Magnum at other sites) passed away on Oct 12th of this year.

Link to his obituary - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mcall/obituary.aspx?n=james-hauff&pid=160464010#fbLoggedOut

#37 ·
Mr Hauff, I have a Defender 38 serial number 11594 that I inherited that is identical to the NIB example from your pictures early in this thread. It appears you have the paperwork as well. I see others have scanned and sent you information for your files. I would like to get a copy of the instruction sheet and any other literature you might have for this revolver as I have not been able to find anything on other websites. I am a new member so I do not know how to go about this, but let me know and I will provide my email address. Thanks for any help.

#38 ·
I just read some of the last postings that Mr Hauff passed away. What a shame. He certainly appeared to be an expert on the H&R Defender 38 that I inherited. I was hoping to get some literature from him and he appeared to be a helpful person from his posts. I guess I will keep searching for someone else that might have such info.

#39 ·
Hi Jim, I acquired a pair of defenders that were originally purchased by the kansas highway patrol to be issued to officers. However as you may know, the 357 magnum came out before these were issued and the defenders went in a vault. They are in the original packing grease, and are sequential serial numbers. I may be looking to sell them in the near future and you seemed like a good guy to ask about possible value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.