H&R Defender 38 (& relatives) Research

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Lanrezac, Sep 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

Wow, and thanks again. Since the British army was using a 38 S&W derivative in its Webley and Enfield revolvers, it seemed strange to me that the UK police would use 32 Long, a cartridge with no particular history there. Especially since a number of US police departments had tried it back around 1900, and given it up for lack of stopping power. At least they must have been easy guns to shoot well with.

Well, now I have to look for a Bobby; I like 32 S&W Long revolvers, and have often wished that H&R had made an equivalent of the Model 999 in 32 Long. I'll bet Bobbies as nice as your SN 22497 are as scarce as hen's teeth!
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

H&R did produce (or at least catalogued it in 1979) a SPORTSMAN variant in 6 x .32 S&W Long and called it the "AUTO EJECTOR REVOLVER". No existing examples are known by the H&R Collecting community and (as with a couple other catalogued firearms) may never have reached production. This center fire variant was only shown in the H&R literature in 1979.

As to the Bobby - "common knowledge" is that around 23,000 were ordered and shipped - with the majority of the pieces chambered for .38 S&W. As you can see from the commercial pieces I pictured, both .32 and .38 versions are known to have been made. The Metro. Police marked piece falls within the serial number range, which was apparently separate from the commercial models. I have only seen the one that I have and that came to me by mischance. I won an on-line auction for what I thought was a very late variation of the AUTO EJECTING series and when it arrived, I found the other markings indicating British usage. The two commercial models came to me later on - and I've not seen any other examples of those, either. So, I'm thinking all in all, both series are somewhat rare. As to the .32 cal chambering, apparently .32 ACP or 7.65mm Browning was fairly well accepted and used by English and European police forces back between 1900 and the end of WW2 and even later. The Europeans (police and civilians) never seemed to develop the taste for the large caliber boomers popular in the US AFTER the development of smokeless powders and higher velocity projectiles.
  3. stevie207

stevie207 New Member

4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

see answer to question in other thread posting
  5. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

To Jim Hauff; Hi!! My name is also Jim and I am a new member! I was just going through the threads regarding the H&R Defender 38. I saw your photos of them and was trying to see if any matched the defender that I have.I didn't find one that exactly matched mine but the second and third variation ones were close. If I give you the info that I have mabe you can help me figure out what i have and what I need for a new pistol grip. It's a one piece grip with one screw on the lower third of the butt.Anyway I don't have any paper work on this pistol as I got it from my father many years ago.It is a top break defender 38 with a 4 inch barrel and adjustable front (for elevation) sights and adjustable rear (for windage) sights.It has a thin hammer and the back end is tapered down to nothing.It has the little ball welded to the back of the front sight and no finger hole on the trigger guard. The rear sight is mounted above the frame break latch and has the concave ends bolted onto both sides of the latch. The S/N is 3828 and is stamped on the left side of the butt and on the front of the butt behind the trigger guard. It is also on the front of the cylinder and the extracter(Last 3 digits only 828).It has the auto extractor which ejects the cases when you break open the frame. I has the slab sided barrel and the company name and address is stapmed on the top of the barrel. On the left side it says DEFENDER 38 and on the right side in small lettere it says 38 S&W CTGE. The sreial # on the left side of the butt has an O above it and an M H below it. The pistol grip on it is broken and is the wrong one anyway. It dosen't cover the whole butt (the front part) and is missing the bottom part below the bolt.It seems to be smaller than it should be. I don't have any pictures but I do have a digital camera and will take some and try to send them to you if I can.The gun itself is in excellent condition and has little or no rust. the finish is a polished blue and is in excellent condition. So if you can ( or anyone for that matter) can help me find out what this is I would appreciate it. I have fired it several times it works well. it's just not very comfortable to hold for more than 5 rounds.Hope to hear back from you or anyone who thinks they can help.Thanks for listening (or reading), Jim D
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  6. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

Grumpyautoman, Jim Hauff stopped posted over a month ago, after having some health problems. I wish we could find out how he is doing. I'm afraid I don't know enough about these guns myself to be any help to you.

But you are on the right track if you put up pictures - they will help others here to tell you about your specific gun. Welcome to the Forum!
  7. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

Lanreazc ; Thanks for the heads-up I will take som pics. tomorrow and try to upload them.!!! Do you know how to do it ?? If so let me know as I have never done it before.

Thanks again Grumpy!!! Jim ps I'm a very young 65 yrs. so I guess that makes me a senior too Ha !!! my favorite pistol is the 1911 or 1911a1 I have some of both. See Ya !!!! Jim
  8. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

LANREZAC; I took some pics. and loaded them into my computer but I haven't been able to figure out how to get them on the forum. If you can help I would appreciate it.!!!!
    Grumpy
    Ps my E-mail address is (grumpydepalo@hotmail.com)

thanks Jim
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  9. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

Old Gun Guy, My name is Jim and my Forum name is grumpyautoman.! I just joined the Forum last week while looking for a pistol grip (one piece black plastic) for a defender 38 that I got from my father years ago. I took some pictures of it but can't figure out how to post them on the Forum.If you can help me out with this i would appreciate it.!!!! thr pistol appears to be in excellent condition both mechanically and externally Blueing. The serial # is 3828 on the left side of the lower butt with the M and the H like yours except the M is above the SN # and the H is below the SN #. Other than that it looks exactly like the one in your pictures on the Forum. Except my grip is broken. If i can figure out how to get the pics. on the Forum you can look at it. Sorry for being long winded but I'm new at this and I love guns especially 1911's If you reach me other than on the Forum I'll give you my E-mail. THANKS !!!!! Jim/grumpyautoman
  10. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  11. hrf

hrf Active Member

12. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

www.[ATTACH]68527.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68528.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68529.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68530.vB[/ATTACH]@hotmail.com

I'm trying to attach some photos Grumpyautoman!!!!!!!!
  13. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

[ATTACH]68531.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68532.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68533.vB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]68534.vB[/ATTACH]

I think i'm finally getting it !!! Sorry there so big grumpyautoman (Jim)
  14. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

Derender 38 (2) 004.jpg

Derender 38 (2) 018.jpg

Derender 38 (2) 019.jpg

Here are a few more Grumpyautoman
  15. Grumpyautoman

Grumpyautoman New Member

To hrf; thanks I thing I'm getting it finally. I'll try to get some better pics(smaller too!!!!!!!!) Thanks again Jim (grumpyautoman)
  16. knight0334

knight0334 Member

I was doing a search for images and such about the H&R 925 and discovered this thread.. ...I noticed Jim Hauff had responded with info, and that there had been replies to it recently.

I just wanted to let you all know that Jim Hauff(aka 32 Magnum at other sites) passed away on Oct 12th of this year.

Link to his obituary - http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/mcall/obituary.aspx?n=james-hauff&pid=160464010#fbLoggedOut
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2012
  17. bobkraft1

bobkraft1 New Member

Mr Hauff, I have a Defender 38 serial number 11594 that I inherited that is identical to the NIB example from your pictures early in this thread. It appears you have the paperwork as well. I see others have scanned and sent you information for your files. I would like to get a copy of the instruction sheet and any other literature you might have for this revolver as I have not been able to find anything on other websites. I am a new member so I do not know how to go about this, but let me know and I will provide my email address. Thanks for any help.
  18. bobkraft1

bobkraft1 New Member

I just read some of the last postings that Mr Hauff passed away. What a shame. He certainly appeared to be an expert on the H&R Defender 38 that I inherited. I was hoping to get some literature from him and he appeared to be a helpful person from his posts. I guess I will keep searching for someone else that might have such info.
  19. Bigmac4665

Bigmac4665 New Member

Hi Jim, I acquired a pair of defenders that were originally purchased by the kansas highway patrol to be issued to officers. However as you may know, the 357 magnum came out before these were issued and the defenders went in a vault. They are in the original packing grease, and are sequential serial numbers. I may be looking to sell them in the near future and you seemed like a good guy to ask about possible value.
  20. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

Jim passed away 10/12/2012.