H & R Eureka Sportsman Model 196

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by rammed, Dec 27, 2009.

1. rammed

rammed New Member

I have had this pistol for a while. My son in law looked it up in the Blue Book and said it seems to be a rare model. Blueing is 70 to 80%. Lockup is tight. Grips are in excellent shape. Very accurate and has a great trigger. How many were made and what would you say it is worth?

Attached Files:

2. rammed

rammed New Member

More pics

Attached Files:

3. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Rammed,
    I have referred your question, to a man who is an H&R expert. Hopefully, he will be along to answer your questions better than I.
    Yes they are pretty rare, offered in 1940 only, Blue Book of gun Values says a piece in 70% is worth $ 450. IIRC, Jim told me around 250 made. But don't quote me on that. I will wait for him to give you better info than I can.
    I am no expert by far, but, I can say, nice revolver!!
    Jim
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

rammed,
    As Jimjo posted, examples of this model are infrequently seen. I'm sure Bill Goforth will provide the history from his research. I find it interesting that your piece has no 'R' prefix, as most that I've seen do have it. Mine is s/n R258. As more pieces are showing up, it looks as though there is a number above your 174 where the 'R' prefix began to be applied. I believe that Bill G's research as well as some "other" info I've heard is that total production of this model was approx. 350 +/-. It is also believed that the 'R' indicates pieces made after Walter Roper became involved in the refinement of this model, which is considered to be the epitome of the Sportsman series, with respect to individual hand work/fitting of all parts and the resultant high degree of accuracy. The trigger pull was set at the factory between 2 and 3 lbs. although some apparently were further modified to be quite less. Mine has what I would estimate to be around 1 lb or less - it is truly a "hair trigger". The sighting system on these revolvers is unique to this model - there are no other known H&R pieces with either the front or rear adjustable sighting assemblies. Values are difficult to determine because so few pieces have been seen for sale. The prices in the Blue Book were determined from very few examples that I saw sold, including my example - so I would expect to see quite a bit of fluctuation depending upon economic conditions and regions in which the piece sells.
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

until jim huaff come alongs i will throw in what is in the 30th edition of the blue books.

EUREKA SPORTSMAN MODEL 196------------------------------1940-ONLY
    Large frame single action top break revolver; 22 rimfire caliber (shorts, longs or long rifles); cylinder capacity 6 rounds, cylinder chambers
    individually recessed; flat top oval (same as late production Sportsman) barrel 6 inches in length; front sight adjustable for elevation (elevation screw on top of barrel rib), rear sight adjustable for windage (and has a different configuration than found on any other H&R adjustable rear sight);
    oversized one piece checkered Walnut grips (eleven different styles available); weight 30 to 32 ounces; overall length about 10 ¾ inches; finger rest trigger, guard trigger guard is heaver and wider than Model 777; trigger pull factory set 2 ½ to 3 pounds, with over travel adjustment. Curved trigger and heavy straight hammer spur; frame mounted firing pin; grip frame is birds head shaped.
    Markings Top of barrel rib; HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO.
    left side of barrel three lines; H&R, “EUREKA”, SPORTSMAN, WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A., H & R No. 196
    right side of barrel 22 Long Rifle CTGE
    VALUE: 100&=$895 60%=$395 with rarely seen fitted case add $250

bill
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Bill, please note: Firing pin on both the Model 777 and 196 is mounted on the hammer, not frame mounted.
  7. rammed

rammed New Member

Bill and Jim

Thanks for the reply. I pulled the grips and the 174 serial number is under there also. I can't find an R anywhere. Cylinder has the same number stamped on it.

The trigger on this breaks at about 1 lb.

Thanks again

Doug (rammed)
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  8. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

jim,
    just made the correction to what we sent the blue book. thanks for pointing this error out.
    bill
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Bill,
    You're THE H&R Man...thanks.