H&R Hammerless high serial Number

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Old Gun Guy, Aug 17, 2011.

1. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I recently picked up this H&R hammerless .38 S&W large frame revolver with a high serial number. The Blue Book Of Gun Values lists this as a 2nd model large frame, 4th variation. It shows this revolver was manufactured in 1913-1915. The serial # range they give is 120000-160000(estimate). The one I show has the serial # of 357169. This # is on the bottom of the butt, left side of the grip strap, under the top strap, and last 3 digits are on the cylinder.
    Jim, will this affect the serial # range that's listed in the new H&R book?
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Old Gun Guy,
    No that will not affect the s/n range - BECAUSE - it's not a HAMMERLESS MODEL. What you have there is 3rd Model 3rd Variation POLICE AUTOMATIC EJECTING made between 1913 and 1915. The POLICE AEs were equipped with the H&R Patented "SAFETY HAMMER" - non spurred, but same mass as the one with the spur, hammer.
    These are fairly commonly found although in much less quantities than the very popular AUTOMATIC/AUTO EJECTING variants.
    Yours looks to be in pretty darn good shape, from the pics maybe 80 to 85% finish, with some dings, grips smoothed out a bit from handling - worth at RETAIL, currently, probably in the $125 to $145 range. It is a smokeless model - so if it's in safe condition - shoot it. Checking in my reference file - I see that your piece has a high serial number for a "POLICE" variant.
    Here's a pic of one of mine with the safety hammer, followed by a TRUE HAMMERLESS LARGE FRAME:

IMG_1847_2.jpg

IMG_2917.jpg
  3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Jim,
    You are absolutely correct. I knew it was a safety-hammer, but for some stupid reason I called it a "hammerless" , and even looked it up under that mistake. Another of my frequent "senior moments".
    Thanks Jim!
    Old Gun Guy
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Old Gun Guy,
    Wadda ya talking about? :confused:
    When did we talk about this? :bleh:
    Who are you?:mad:
    Who the hell am I?:eek:

What the hell is this stuff?:
    IMG_5109.jpg
  5. oldmedik

oldmedik New Member

those are smart pills you take 2 three times a day for two weeks watch the improvement.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

;)
    Oldmedik, don't tell anyone else - actually those are Chipmunk turds - got a tame one running around - watched him leave these for me. Don't see these very often - that's a "macro" close-up. :rolleyes: