H&R Handy Rifle

Discussion in 'Large-Bore/Small-Bore Rifle/Shotgun' started by polishshooter, Aug 4, 2012.

1. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

A shop near me has a sweet used but virtually unfired H&R Handy Rifle in .223 for sale, with a bipod and a Weaver 3-9x variable mounted on it, for $340...

Heck the scope is worth $150 right? The price sounds pretty close to right...

It caught my eye but raised a few questions...

First, does anybody own one, and how accurate are they or how accurate can they be made to shoot?

I realize single shots are touch and go with accuracy, and 1/2 MOA is probably out of the question, but for a 'Walking around "'Varmint gun" out to say 150 how would it work?

And are interchangeable barrels available? 30 years ago I ALMOST bought one in .22 Hornet but it got sold out from under me even though I gave the guy a down payment to hold it for me, :mad:and I wouldn't mind picking up a hornet barrel for it if they are available if I decide to buy it. But I also seem to remember .30-30 and .308 and maybe .243 were available too...

And I realize New England Firearms now makes the same rifles, are the parts/barrels interchangeable?

Anybody have any info or experience with them?
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  2. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

I had one in .204 Ruger that was a 1/2 inch shooter at 100 yards once I got the formula right for what it liked. I still have one in 7mm/08 and 45/70 (with extra .45 Colt barrel) that I really like. I think $340 is a tad bit high, though.

The barrels are interchangeable but you have to send them to H&R to have them "fitted" to the action. H&R will sell you the barrel and fit it to your receiver for about $120 +/-.

EDIT: I just went to their website and could not find the ares they used to have for adding extra barrels, so I guess they have stopped doing that. Here is their website link, maybe you can find it: http://www.hr1871.com/default.asp
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  3. TCoggins

TCoggins Member

I have a .243 bull barrel Handi Rifle that shoots 3/4" groups at 100 yards, as well as a couple 45-70's that I am currently working on the loads for. H&R will still fit the barrels to a receiver, but make sure you check with them on the receiver you have, as some were outsourced by them in the 1990's (I think), and they won't fit a new high pressure barrel to them.

Here is the link to the accessory barrel program.

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

For what it's worth, I purchased the .243 barrel and one of the 45-70 barrels and fitted them to the receivers myself. On the 243, I needed to remove material from the contact point on the underlug to allow the barrel to lock up, and on the 45-70, I needed to epoxy a shim at the contact point. Never had an issue with either rifle.

There's a lot of Handi Rifle info on the Graybeards website. It woul be a good idea to check it out.

Be careful though, like most other gun related items, they are addictive.

Tim
  4. gdmoody

Thanks TC, I saw that page but was in a hurry (had to leave for work in 5 minutes) so I didn't scroll down far enough.
  5. zkovach

zkovach Active Member

My buddy had one and it was nothing but trouble. He sent it to the mfg 3 times and it still didn't work correctly, I he three different barrels and everyone poised a problem. To be fair I know some people who love them and work well.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  6. gdmoody

I have heard the stories about the harmonics of the barrels being all messed up, but I can truly say that I have never had any problem with mine and I had 4 of them at one time.
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

They're owned by remington now, I had a coworker give me a 12 gauge nef survivor
  8. polishshooter

Thanks for the advice, guys, I just thought it was pretty light and looked good with that Weaver
  9. CCHolderinMaine

CCHolderinMaine Well-Known Member

I have an H+R Handi rifle in 500 SW. So far it's been pretty reliable. Hard to rate accuracy as I've not fired it a ton, although out of the box it's relatively close. Not planning on shooting the .500 beyond 100 yards so I can't help with longer range info. I also own a NEF Pardner .410. It's my understanding that NEF and H+R are identical save for cosmetics.
  10. polishshooter

Yeah for the price I have always liked H&R.

I bought an H&R 20 guage single for my son to hunt deer with when he was 9 and cut the stock down with a hacksaw and taped on a removable rubber butt pad on it after drilling half inch holes in it to help me align it with dowel rods so I could grow the stock with him...and told him IF he could keep 5 slugs in a paper plate at 25 yds he could hunt with me that year....I remember him running into the house after a day at the range with all 5 in the plate yelling to Mom that he could hunt with me now...keep in mind 20 guage slugs in a fixed breech gun recoil as much as a .30-06 150 gr....the stock BETTER fit the kid...

I built him a "portable" 8 foot tree stand out of 2x4s and we hunted state land that year, I tied him in the stand and blazed trees with my 'hawk at 25 yds around him and told him he could shoot at any deer that was inside that range...he saw none but I got one near him...

The next year I had permission to hunt private land with him and he saw 27 deer, but none within 25 yds, so he didn't shoot. I shot a doe.

At 12, he shot at a small doe (missed, and while reloading dropped a slug that banged down the steps, all the time with her looking at him) and shot again that then jumped straight up and he had me waste 2 hours of prime opening day hunting time tracking a deer that he KNEW he hit since Grandpa (my Dad) told him if you hit a deer in the heart they jumop straight up (funny that I have hit quite a few that way and have YET to have one jump straight up;) (AND I found the tracks and a helluva mark in the mud between them...if it jumped up it was from the DIRT hitting his belly....) I managed a small buck that year.

He never got a deer with it but he got a few squirrels with that gun, and when I bought him a CVA .50 cal muzzleloader kit we put together when he was 12 that he got his first buck (a nice 150 lb dressed Spike that I had seen several times near his stand during bow season) with it when he was 13...and that rifle is hanging with my flintlock over my mantle today...and that year I got a nice doe, which got me a lot of trash talk from him..."Buck Hunter vs. Doe Killer"..;)

Now he is a Sergeant in the US Army, an Abrams gunner, and I am getting ready to take the stock apart again and fit another rubber buttpad to it with duct tape....

...so his daughter who is now 16 months old can hunt with her Grandpa soon.