H & R Handyman

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by ibigdog, Feb 22, 2008.

1. ibigdog

ibigdog New Member

I have a friend with a older firearm H & R 410 Handyman with pistol grip
    and 10 or 12 inch barrel.
    What is the history and what could it be worth.
    Thank you
  2. wonderwhippet

wonderwhippet Active Member

It's called a Harrington and Richardson Handy-Gun. It is considered a short barreled shotgun under NFA regulations, and is illegal to own unless registered with the ATF. Registration for this firearm has been discontinued, and it cannot be made legal. According to the law, it must be turned in for destruction.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i recomend you get a copy of ned schwing's "standard catalog of firearm" he has a three page article about the "H&R Handy Gun". the handy gun is calssified as a NFA firearm by the ATF and must be registered, but no new registrationa are allow. the law that put the handy gun is this classification went into effect about 1934.

some model of the handy gun are very valuable but only if already resistered. the handy gun was manufactured between 1924 and 1933 in 410 and 28 guage. the most common is the 410 version. these in excellent condition will usually bring $500+ but only if already registered.
    bill
  4. Dad's Girl

Dad's Girl New Member

How do you find out if a gun has been registered? ... I am trying to figure out the worth of a gun I just inherited. ~ thanks
  5. Bill DeShivs

Bill DeShivs Active Member

There should be a tax stamp (literally, a stamp-like a postage stamp) and accompanying federal paperwork. If this can not be found, you can inquire of the BATFE. Be prepared to forfeit the gun if they can't find the registration paperwork.
    Better yet, have a lawyer deal with the BATFE. Then, you are protected.
    If you don't possess the barrel along with the frame, the unregistered gun is not illegal.
    Last edited: May 10, 2012