1. CountryGunsmith

CountryGunsmith New Member

rssc
    (2/6/03 12:40:10 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del All Class 3 Fully transferable H&R M14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hi guys.

Any idea of what market value is for an excellent condition, all original, class 3, H&R M14? This gun is not a reweld.

Thanks for any advice...

~rssc

warpig883
    *TFF Staff*
    (2/6/03 8:42:53 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    ezSupporter
    Re: Class 3 Fully transferable H&R M14
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    thousands and thousands and thousands

I was reading about M14's the other day and it said that very few select fire M14 rifles were released to the public. I forgot how many. These were released through CMP.

Ignorance is a crime in 49 states. In the other one it is bliss.

AntiqueDr
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 9:26:09 am)
    Reply | Edit | Del
    Re: Class 3 Fully transferable H&R M14
    That gun would first have to checked, then double checked, for originality. All parts correct and most importantly any prospective buyer would want the receiver metallurgically checked for the weld. We've seen some REALLY good rewelds.

If it checks out, and is legally transferable, I'd think $10K plus is realistic.

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/6/03 9:33:52 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Class 3 Fully transferable H&R M14
    Key word...reweld. Have it checked by an expert, take no ones word until x-rayed.

LTS

rssc
    (2/9/03 5:22:19 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Thanks for all the help.....
    Thanks a lot for all the replies...

Sorry for not getting back sooner. I've had one hell of a week!

Alright as you guys have stressed, I 'm very worried that I'll unknowingly get a reweld. I know that I can look at the form 4 and see who's listed as the manufacturer. If I'm not mistaken the name of the C2 who rewelded the M14 should be listed here, in the even that it's a reweld. I guess I could even do an FOI request but this would take several months to get back and still wouldn't be 100%. Is there any way for a person "in the know" to tell an M14 isn't a reweld by a visual inspection? I've been told you can tell by looking at the inside of the reciever. Is it customary to have the seller (or send it out) x-ray a firearm for the buyer (with buyer paying), after the money has been exchanged but before paperwork has been done ? How is this usually handled? Also, who offers this kind of a service? About how much does it cost?

I've asked these questions all over the net. There just isn't that many people who check anything more than the form 4 when buying a reweld. Most act puzzled when I ask them if they've had it x-rayed or at least done an FOI request. They're are many people who buy class 3 firearms but not many who actually collect class 3...

It's very important that I get an authentic, non-reweld for two reasons. First, obviously this is a lot of money to spend. Finally this is just as much of a sentimental purchase as it is a "collectors" purchase. My father who used an M14 for a time in Vietnam has wanted an M14 for many years. So we're finally acting upon what he's been saying for sooo long!

Thanks a lot for all the help & sorry for the long winded post,

~rssc

LIKTOSHOOT
    *TFF Senior Staff*
    (2/9/03 9:43:47 pm)
    Reply | Edit | Del Re: Thanks for all the help.....
    This may very well be a quest......since time is the factor in many ways. You always hear of these being out there, police-museums and on and on. Fact of the matter...it just isn`t so and never was. First, there are rules on who gets these and when they do.......they cannot simply dispose of them as they see fit....PERIOD! Some will tell you they are sold for auctions and such.....BS excuse my French. Now for the real thing....yes there are some out there and yes they are rare. And since many of these were do many years back..."MANY" lots of folks were unaware of rewelds and they have passed many hands since.....also some never were stamped by ClassII and still were legal.....many of those, as stated----once a machine gun.......forever more it is---PERIOD!! Now as to the inside or the receivers....NO....some are simply excellent and there is also no way to tell just by the nakid eye....unless it`s just shoddy work. Bottom line.....neither is going to be cheap and a pristine non-reweld is going to excede 10K as these are very hard to aquire with records to prove it was never cut. Same applies for M16s....as these are just as rare in uncut form.

LTS