H&R "MANUAL EJECTING" Top Break Info Needed

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Jim Hauff, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I'm looking for information on H&R MANUAL EJECTING revolver(s). I vaguely remember a posting, I think it was on this forum, concerning one of these (has push rod to eject empty casings, instead of automatic ejecting system). I believe I copied the posting - but hell if I can find it now. I need serial number and top barrel rib stamping info for the Bill G. book on H&Rs. Any info will be greatly appreciated. I believe we decided it was a "transitional" model between known 1st and 2nd Models.
    Thanks,
    Jim H.

Will look something like the pic - note the "ejector rod" below the barrel.

IMG_1736_2.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2011
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Needed Info found, thanks to hrf. Bury this posting.
  3. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Jim

I have a top break that came in with the sear, hinge scw and trigger spring missing. It also seems to have a f-pin bushing missing as there is a hole there that is approx .150 wide and .040 deep. there is no model number on the gun but looking in my books seems to be a Police Automatic (ejector). There are no threads in this hole for a threaded bushing nor is there a thru pin for one. The hammer nose is the f-pin. The hole is considerably larger than a small pistol primer. I don't have another H&R in here to compare it to. Any ideas?
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Gun,
    All the H&R revolvers that I've seen have a firing pin bushing - hinged and or solid frame.
    The hole is not much bigger than the diameter of the firing pin - and certainly alot smaller than a sp primer - that would be about the size of the bushing.
    I believe the bushing were a tapered, friction press fit.
    Your work piece : serial number and markings on top rib and left side of barrel and I'll tell you which model and variation of the Auto Ejecting (Police version has the factory patented spurless hammer) and approx. year of manufacture.
    Here's a pic of the bushing:
    IMG_1834_3.jpg
  5. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

I will relay the info as soon as I get it from the shop in the morning. Thanks.
  6. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

On top of the rib it reads: Harrington and Richardson Arms Co., Worcester, Mass U.S.A. (no "H" in Worcester). Sr no. on the bottom of grip frame is: 492219, the left side bbl markings read 32 S&W CTGE. I might also mention that the cyl lock appears to be made into the trigger and lifts to lock the cyl when the trigger is pulled all the way to the rear. Thanks again.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

gunplumber,
    That piece is a 3rd Model 4th Variation (1913-24) smokeless. With that serial number it is high in the range noted - so I figure 1924 to be the YOM. (Bill G's historical notes)
    The cylinders on this entire Model series from 1885 to mid 1930's was free wheeling - as you note the cylinder "bolt" doesn't engage the cylinder cut out until the trigger is pulled part way through it's cycle. There's a couple fellers here who have taken these things apart and can comment on this lock-work more clearly than I can.
  8. gunplumber

gunplumber New Member

Jim Hauff:

Thank you sir. I am sure this info will help me find the proper parts. I have always felt that these guns were a fairly good buy but I have to mention I'm not too fond of most of their little hand spring designs. Most I have seen had round spring fac stock but now I get some made with flat springs that fit into a round hole. That caused me a lot of problems untill I started to round the edges to make them easier moving in the hole. And if you don't get that bend just right...........mercy..........many thanks again.
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

gunplumber,
    You're wecome, sir. Glad to help out with my EXTREMELY limited knowledge of what the hell is inside these things. Everyday, I'm learning something new about the workings of the H&Rs (and others) on this forum. Seems I'm spending 75% of my on-line time here. You guys are excellent sources, I'm just glad to add a little bit here and there.
  10. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

Hello!
    I finally got this revolver put together enough to take some pictures. It is missing the cylinder catch, barrel catch, and sear. Does anyone know if these "manual eject" revolvers take the same parts as the old model large frame top-break? This is the 2nd model that was apparently only made for one year (1890). The serial # is 3634, and matches the cylinder and top strap, but not the trigger guard. The top of the barrel rib has the words; "Harrington & Richardson Arms Company", on 2nd line: "Worcester, Mass. USA PAT'D OCT 4 TH 1887. I tried to get a pic of the top barrel rib but my camera ran out of flash powder.
    Jim, I hope this will help in your research for the H&R book.
    Thanks for looking!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011
  11. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Old Gun Guy,
    Thanks for posting those pics. Your piece is a bona fide 2nd Model MANUAL EJECTOR dates of production are 1890 (new frame and grip panels) till - ????. Most likely more than one year, but unknown until more examples show up. We know that the 2nd Model runs up to at least 8880 pieces (that's the s/n on my example) so there are probably more than a year of production of a limited production piece.
    Thanks again.