H&R Memories

Discussion in '.22-Rimfire Forum' started by Dragoon, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

I realize that there is not a lot of collector interest in them, but I imagine most of us have owned at least one Harrington & Richardson .22 revolver. Part of the charm to the H&R product, I think, is how much they retained their old fashioned style & design elements until pretty much the very end.

My first ever handgun was a Model 950 (nickeled finish). This was in the early 1970's & I remember it had a damaged grip, so I ordered up new ones from the factory, & they sent me the most beautifully figured walnut replacements....

I've owned other H&R's over the years, & while I don't have too many left, I've become more interested in the brand recently. They have the benefit of often selling for far too little relative to their utility. If the mainspring function has gone away (in some it was capped by a plastic piece that engaged the hammer & was prone to breakage) they come really cheap.

Of the H&R's I have have kept, I've tended to tart them up with Jay Scott grips (much harder to find now than in years past), although I've always retained the original grips. The 929 pictured here is one of those guns.

I have two favorite H&R's, both target types. One's a late (serial prefix "AZ") Model 903 with the flat sided barrel, & the other is a very early Sportsman (serial #D4xxx). In representing H&R's modern era, they make for nice bookends.

[​IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  2. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Dragoon,
    I think you will see that collector interest is growing for the H&R's. Prices going up also!
    I am a big fan.
    Been collecting about 3 years, have about 30 pieces. Mostly western style, and sportsman pieces. I too, have recently gotten a couple sets of Scott grips. 2 sets of white pearl for the model 999. Have them mounted on a matched pair of 4" barrelled model 999's made in 1980. Really makes them stand out. also just found a set of black pearl Scott grips, Can't wait until they show up, should really make a sweet looking pair.
    Jim

[​IMG]
  3. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

It's probably worth also mentioning that, from a practical standpoint, the Jay Scott grips are pretty beefy & afford a better grasp.
  4. southcorner

southcorner New Member

i also bought a harrington sportsman 999 22.lr

but i want other gripps

are there any manufacteres in the usa

cause over here in the Netherlands they hardly know this revolver

greetings pj
  5. Dragoon

Dragoon New Member

Since both H&R & Jay Scott have been defunct for some time, I don;t think there is anyone currently mass producing grips for the various H&R models. Your best bet is to scour the various auction websites in search of "new old stock" items.