H&R MK II

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by A Kirschner, Apr 23, 2012.

1. A Kirschner

A Kirschner New Member

I recently purchased a H&R MK II CAL .32 S&W, break top, 6 shot revolver. I was wonder if anyone can tell me what the date of manufacture, history, historic value, or any other information on this piece. I am also wondering if it will take standard .32 S&W rounds. I have read several post on here that some .32's will only take black powder cartridges.

Ok now for the specifics on this piece:

It has "Harrington & Richardson Arms Co. Worcestoer, Mass USA" stamped on the top of the barrel.

Behind that, on top of the cylinder housing in front of teh rear sight is the "MK-II" stamp.

On the front of the grip is the serial number "P M.P. 245XX".

On the back of the cylinder and on the extractor is stamped "630"

On the left side of the barrel just in front of the cylinder is stamped ".32 S&W CTGE". I'm thinking that this is just a cal. .32 cartridge designation.

It has a blued steel finish with hard rubber or plastic grips.

Attached Files:

2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

The only question of your I can answer for certain is about ammunition. Your gun was made sometime around 1940, so it can handle any 32 S&W or 32 S&W Long ammunition. The sights are probably adjusted for Long, more or less. A good-sized gun store should have it, but it will probably be expensive.

Sometimes you can find good deals for it on the internet, but shipping will eat up the difference on just one box. It is a very pleasant cartridge to shoot, but no longer popular.

PS - 32 Automatic will probably chamber and fire, but it a higher-pressure round than 32 S&W Long, so no one would recommend using it. Also, I think the bullet is a bit undersized (.308" for 32 ACP vs. .312" for 32 Long?) so accuracy might be poor to boot. HTH.

PPS - One other thing I know about your gun is that a large quantity of them were sold to Britain in World War 2, for arming British policemen. For that reason, this model is sometimes called the Bobby. Few or none of those ever seem to have come back to the US, though, and yours does not seem to have any British proofmarks.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

A. Kirschner,
    Welcome to the forum.
    I've been wondering for a couple years if and when one of these would show-up.
    You have one of the "Holy Grail" pieces of H&R collecting. Yours is only the second one I've ever heard of or seen. I have the other.
    That gun was one of approx. 23,000 pieces ordered by the LONDON METROPOLITAN POLICE circa 1939 for war-time issue to the "Bobbie" or street patrol officers. Hence - this model is called (what else) THE BOBBY. The guns sent to London were serial numbered in their own range and derive from the final iteration of the AUTOMATIC EJECTING revolver (spanning the periond 1885 - 1941). There were also pieces made for commerial, domestic sales, which are serialed in a separate series.
    The 'P' indicates proofing by the Metropolitan Police (MP) hence the stampings on the front of the grip strap. The MKII marking on the top strap, indicates the revolver has been proofed with Brit .32 revolver cartridges loaded with "Cordite" propellent.
    Nobody knows (or at least they're not sharing info) how these came back to the US, or how many may have made the return trip - NOR - what happened to the 20K+ pieces that were shipped. Therefore - the rarity of finding one of the original MP marked pieces. Since these just do not show up for sale (as I said I bought one - mine at a gun show and the dealer thought it was just another JUNK H&R - so I got it for $135) valuation is nearly impossible to assess. In the BLUE BOOK, I estimate retail value around $600 - but to someone who knows what that gun is, and at a good auction venue - it could easily exceed that (IMHO).
    Congratulations - would you care to share the details of how you came by that BOBBY?
    Here's some pics of mine, along with a pair of commercial/domestic pieces.

View attachment 62279

View attachment 62280

View attachment 62281
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Rather than screw up the previous post - here's the pics that didn't come through - slow broad band yesterday. I should also add: the domestic/commercial pieces were chambered in 6 x .32 S&W LONG and 5 x .38 S&W - both smokeless rounds. From Bill G.'s research: it seems ALL the BOBBIES shipped to London were chambered in .32 cal and marked as .32 S&W. The commercial models could rightly be called the 4th Model AUTO EJECTING - as the only real change was the switch to the "RICE" type frame with one piece grip. BTW - thanks for posting your pics - may I have your permission to add them to my research files?

Here's my pics:

IMG_0093.jpg

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0107_2.jpg
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

I have mispelled BOBBY several times in the above postings. I do not know how I came up with BOBBIE??? I have corrected the mistake and apologize for any confusion this may have caused. :eek::eek: