1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R Model 199 Questions

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by cabbagecreek, Sep 24, 2010.

1. cabbagecreek

cabbagecreek New Member

I have a H&R Model 199 SA, 9 shot, 22 long rifle, top break, serial # D20155. Can anyone tell me how old this gun is and its worth? Its is fair condition. I'm seen on TFF where the letter signifies the year made. I've seen the letters S, I, J and K listed, but can't seem to find anything on D. Can anyone help me? Thx
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Cabbage,
    The Model 199 was the SINGLE ACTION version of the Sportsman and will be so marked on the left side of the barrel. In the post 1940 H&R era, 'D' would be 1943. This would be a bit unusual as it would indicate production during the middle of the WW2 era, but not impossible. If your piece is not a SA, and is a DOUBLE ACTION, then the 'D' prefix was used to signify DA after the introduction of the SA version (which were marked with serial numbers beginning with 'S'.) In that case your piece would date from around 1933-34. Need a bit of clarification from you.
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
  3. cabbagecreek

cabbagecreek New Member

I have since found out that this gun is indeed a double action version. I had a relative look at it, and he said that the hammer catch (sear) is wore out and doesn't catch the hammer and hold it back, and is currently functioning as a double action only. He thought that the catch could probably be adjusted pretty easily to function properly. I have attached pixs showing the H&R 'SPORTSMAN' on the left side of the barrel. Based on your helpful information, I can probably assume that the gun was made around 1933-34 then? What would you say the value would be at auction? Thx for all your help.

Attached Files:

4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Cabbage -
    The 1933-34 would then be consistent with Bill Goforth's dating research - as the piece is a double action - the etched name on the left side of barrel also reinforces this.

In todays' somewhat depressed values - your Sportsman DA, in the condition that I can see on my screene (I'd estimate - V.Good condition, with some high points worn and some chips int he grips AND with a broken single action sear) would probably sell in the $200 - 225 range. Fix it and it should increase by about $35-45 in value.
    BTW - the older, mid '30s Sportsman pieces - from my experience shooting them - are extremely accurate with standard velocity ammo. I routinely shoot a piece from the same time frame and enjoy the hell out of it - so does everyone else that shoots it.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2010