H&R Model 676 misfire in one chanber?????

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by troma55, Jan 4, 2009.

1. troma55

troma55 New Member

I am brand new here and after a bit searching online I am hoping I can get some help here.

Anyway, I got my dads old model 676 over Christmas. Took it home and fully disassembled it and cleaned from one end to the other, even removed the grip and cleaned under it. I took it out yesterday and fired a few rounds at some clays.

The problem is there is one chamber in the cylinder that won't fire. I reloaded and after 18 bullets only 15 fired. The same chamber failed to fire everytime. The bullets were dented from the pin but no reaction.

Any clues why all but one are being fired?
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

if only one chamber misfired every time then you need to look closely at that chamber. if it was a different chamber every time then look at the firing pin, hammer and or hammer spring.

the model 686 was manufactured between 1980 and 1986 and has a transfer bar ignition system. hammer hits transfer bar which inturn hits fire pin. this would also need to be looked at carefully.

another thing to take into consideration doe it happen only in single action firing or both single and double action firing.
    bill
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  3. troma55

troma55 New Member

not sure what happened but just went out again and fired a few shots and everyone went off fine. kinda at a loss.

I will have to keep an eye on it and see what was happening.

And it happens on double action and is a 676 not a 686
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

sorry about the mistake in model numbers.

MODEL 676 COMBO-----------------------------------1975-1980
    Solid Frame, Double Action, Rod, Ejection, Western Style Grip, 22LR/.22 MAG. Combo. 6 shot, Finish Blue/Color Case Harden, Barrel Lengths 4½, 5½, 7½, & 12 inches, Fixed Sights
    VALUE: 100%=$275 60%=$125 Add 20% premium for 12” barrel; deduct $35 if only one cylinder
    bill
  5. troma55

troma55 New Member

good job.

I think I figured part of the problem, was firing .22 lr with the .22 mag cylinder.
    Silly me for not looking properly. The pin was prob. not hitting good with the lr being a teeny bit narrower.