H&R Model 732 date code and Ammo questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by wh23g3g, Dec 11, 2012.

1. wh23g3g

wh23g3g New Member

I'm new to the forum so this is my first post. I'm new to gun collecting too. I have a .22 MAG Davis Derringer, .22 Heritage Arms Rough Rider, and a .32 Model 732 H&R. I want to know what year this H&R 732 would have been made. The Serial number starts with AU. I searched the archives and so many other serial numbers but must have missed AU. I'm also wondering about the ammo. It says on the barrel S&W L. Is S&W Long the only ammo at all that will work in this model or will the shorts too?
  2. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

The 32 shorts will work fine, although they may require a different point of aim because of their different trajectory. As with any cartridge shorter than the one the gun was designed for, extensive firing may build up a ring of fouling than can make chambering the full length round difficult, but proper cleaning will avoid that.

PS - 32 Auto (aka 32 ACP or 7.65mm Browning) may also chamber and may also fire. It should not be used. It is a higher pressure cartridge than the gun was designed for, with an undersized bullet that usually results in poor accuracy. Ignition and extraction will be unreliable because the 32 Auto rim is smaller and thinner than the 32 Long or short rim.
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012