H&R Model 826 Not firing

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by Trason806, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Trason806

Trason806 New Member

i recently got a hold of a H&R model 826 22 W.M.R.F. it was my wife's granddad's. it is a AX SN. i believe it was made in 1981. i bought a box of Winchester 22 mag and took it to the range. the gun fired only about 30% for the time. examining the hulls (fired and unfired) revealed that the firing pin is not hitting hard enough or not traveling far enough forward to make good indents. i found a diagram online and have completely disassembled the firearm. the guns appears to be in good shape and not fired very much at all. i am including a picture of the firing pin. hopefully someone has heard of this problem and can help. i know this gun is not worth a lot of money that is why i am trying to fix it without the cost of a gunsmith.

Attached Files:

2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

That looks like a centerfire firing pin. The rimfire pin has an anvil-type point.

[​IMG]
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Agreed - looks like the pin used in the 832 or the '500' series .32 H&R Mag line.
  4. Trason806

Trason806 New Member

well that would explain the problem. any ideas where i can get a correct firing pin? also should i get a new spring for the firing pin or did all the 800's use the same one?
  5. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

If the pin has adequate protrusion, simply reform the point like the picture shown (both sides). If the pin is being pushed back below the recoil shield then your firing pin spring is adequate.
  6. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Gotta watch where the "wedge" strikes - the purpose build rimfire pin is offset to the top, while the centerfire pin comes straight out from the center.
  7. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

Right. Should be enough there to make it work though. If not, he hasn't lost anything and can still get the new part.
  8. Trason806

Trason806 New Member

I do not believe the pin has adequate protrusion. the base of center fire cartridges is thicker than that of a .22 (so i believe this pin is shorter) however if i lengthened this pin it would not return enough to be safely behind the recoil shield. i would have to remove some metal so that the firing pin spring could allow the pin to move father back. i have included a drawing of what i believe i would have to modify. it would look much like the picture posted by StoneChimney. However http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ has a new firing pin part 274010A for about $11 shipped. i have ordered one and will post a follow up when i get it.

Attached Files:

9. Trason806

Trason806 New Member

its been a while, but i got to the range. put 50 rounds of Winchester through it. had 2 failure to fires. hitting them again fired them both off. also the empty hulls stuck hard in one hole of the cylinder. i then tried some CCI maxi-mag. no failures and none of the hulls stuck. for this little gun i think i will stick with CCI.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Trason,
    Thanks for the update...sounds like you've fixed the problem. For the sticky cylinder bore - try the brass/bronze brush chucked in your variable speed hand drill and CLP of some time. A couple hundred revs and it should remove all the crap baked in there. If not, then the cylinder in underbored.