H&R model 922 questions

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by cardsfanbj, May 16, 2012.

1. cardsfanbj

cardsfanbj New Member

I recently came into possession of my grandfather's 922 and can't find too much info on it on the internet and I had a few questions about it.
    It appears to be a double action only revolver. It has a 5.5" octagonal barrel and a blued finish.

The cylinder does not have any ejector on it, though I have seen other 922s; would those be newer models or is mine just missing its ejector?

I'm not entirely sure if the serial number is considered "low" or not, if you could provide a range, that would be great. (I'd rather not post the serial here)

[​IMG]

I know it's not very valuable, I'm wanting to keep this as a memento of my grandpa, but any info at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited: May 16, 2012
  2. cardsfanbj

cardsfanbj New Member

3. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

cardsfanbj,
    The H&R 922 is a solid frame revolver. It is a double/single action, so you have a sear problem, probably a weak or broken spring. Your ejector is the cylinder pin, used to push out the empties from each chamber. Then you reload and reinstall the cylinder. These were manufactured from 1927-1952. Without a hint of your serial number, there is no way to date your revolver. If you are reluctant to post the serial number, then just list it with the last digits represented by XX.
    Old Gun Guy
  4. cardsfanbj

cardsfanbj New Member

Serial number is 1379xx
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

cardsfanbj,
    Your 922 revolver is a first model, first variation manufactured 1927-1930. Check online gun auctions to get an idea of the value.
    Old Gun Guy
  6. Kcarroll2007

Kcarroll2007 New Member

Well I'm posting because I recently had a H&R 922 come into my possession. While disappointed to read of bgoforth's passing, I'm hoping there might be someone else who might be interested in my find. Bgoforth posted several times about his database of over 2000 H&R 922 serial numbers, the lowest of which started 125. The reason for my post is that the serial of the 922 I now have in my possession is lower...It actually starts 122. I have no idea if this is significant or not, or if it's of interest to anyone? It's not in the best of conditions, missing the grip, however the serial number is clearly visible. If anyone can tell me more or is interested in my find as a collector or researcher, please contact me at kcarroll119@gmail.com