H&R model 926 22 cal with 4"

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by RickA, Dec 11, 2012.

1. RickA

RickA New Member

I have a H&RM model 926 in 22cal with a serial number start with AE which would indicated a 1968 production date. The Gun is in perfect shape and looks new except for one problem.

Someone dry fired it and now the revolver will not cock! I tried to take it apart to see if something had slipped out of place. When I took the handles off so I could see into the cocking assembly and trigger area, it looked like there was a white or ivory colored plastic part that was broken inside the handle. I was surprised to see plastic inside a revolver of that age!

I realize when I saw all the parts and springs inside I was over my head with out some diagrams and assemble instruction.

My questions:
    Does anyone have any idea what was damaged inside as a result of the dry firing?
    Does anyone have any idea what the broken plastic part was that I saw?
    Where can I get parts to fix this gun?
    where can I get some assemble / disassemble diagrams with parts list?

The gun was my fathers gun, he brought it and kept it in perfect condition so while it may not be worth a great deal, I would like to repair it and keep it in the same perfect condition he kept it in.

Thank you for your help and advice.
  2. Sprint

Sprint Member

RickA,

From your desciption, it appears the mainspring guide rod head has broken. This is not uncommon with this part. They usually broke after years of use due to the material hardening and becomming brittle. There are all steel parts available out there somewhere but cannot remember where.

Numrich Gun Parts Corporation has schematics of many H&R handgun models that will help you in repairing the revolver.

Sprint
  3. RickA

RickA New Member

Sprint, thank you so much, I will try to find an all steel replacement, I'm so surprised plastic materials were used. :). Thank you again.

One more question, as long as I'm taking this apart, are there any other parts that I should thing about replacing as I fix this old gun?
  4. Sprint

Sprint Member

RickA,

From what you mentioned in your 1st post on this revolver, it sounds like it has had the best of care and I would not worry at this point if something else may be wrong with it.

If you find another problem with it after replacing the mainspring guide, send me a PM and I will try to help.

Sprint
  5. SARGE7402

SARGE7402 Member

The back woodsman had an article on fixing a 929 I think a couple of months back. Seems he had the same problem a broken part. Think he got the replacement from numerich arms. think also that the part for a sportsman (999) or late model defender (925) might also work