H&R Model 929 22Cal 9 Shot

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Slowhand, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

[​IMG]

I got a phone call from a friend of mine who was out scouting around the LGSs. One in particular was loading half dozen older revolvers in their display cases. I ran into an H&R Model 929. 22 CAL, with a 9 round cylinder, a 1 3/4” inch barrel. Total length is 6 1/4”. Marked H&R INC WORC MASS USA. She was in great shape. He wanted $200. I offered $150. He took it.

[​IMG]

Left side looks good minor wear. It has a hammer mounted firing pin, blued finish, with a swing out cylinder. The sights are fixed and it has checkered grips, with little wear.

[​IMG]

The cylinder and interior are in great shape.

The blast shield looks like she’s had a few rounds put through her.
    H&R manufactured these from 1956-1986. I believe they were called the Sidekick. They came out with a second series of these from 1996-1999 except the grips were brown.

The Serial Number is AL367XX. Any idea when it was manufactured? My current information says AL is 1973.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

Knock, knock. Jim Hauff, you about? I got a couple of questions about this one.
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  3. RJay

RJay Active Member

Pre-Fix AL was used in 1973.
  4. Slowhand

Slowhand Member

OK. I've found several sources that make it as the year.

Thanks.
  5. GERTIEGUY

GERTIEGUY New Member

Great info on this little gun: just got one at a pawn shop for $125. AJxxx Serial # range so 1972. Took it out for a spin and here's what I got: Using Remington 22 LR
    1. SA firing: pretty Good
    2. DA not so good: lots of misfires.
    So need to take a part and check spring and guide head and see if plastic or metal. Did notice DA trigger was very light...so maybe weak spring or have been cut. Any other suggestions? Seems to lock up fine, pretty accurate, not lead shaving, etc.
    "BUT": I did notice that sometimes I needed to pull hammer back a bit (maybe one click) to get the swing out cylinder to come out? This normal or other problem? Thanks-
  6. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Active Member

I've been collecting them for several years.I look on the internet for them and $150 is a fair price.Over 200 or more is not uncommon if it's new in box or you really want it.Official prices are much lower but it's really how bad someone wants one in an auction. Sounds like you need a new trigger spring.Look on Numeric for one,metal not plastic.
  7. bamajoey

bamajoey Active Member

I got a H&R 929 4in model several years ago when my father in law passed away serial # started with BA. It was NIB, he owned a hardware store that sold guns and knives as well as furniture. Actually he sold EVERYTHING in that store. I would be interested to know the mfg date.
  8. GERTIEGUY

GERTIEGUY New Member

Thanks flyingtiger85, I was wondering if it was best to get the metal tip.