1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H & R Model 949 22 Cal

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Sensei, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Sensei

Sensei New Member

I have a H & R Model 949 Revolver 22 Caliber which is in excellent shape. Looks like brand new but has probably had some rounds through it at one point. Mechanism works flawlessly.

What would something like this be worth?
  2. polishshooter

polishshooter Active Member

I used to own one, at least I THINK it was a 949 (is that the blued 9 shot with a bull barrel and adjustible sights?) if I remember right I only paid like $125 for it new, but that was about 20 years ago!

In fact, I have been looking for one again at shows, and have been unable to locate any for sale! HKS even made "speedloaders" for it, if it's the same model I'm thinking about....

I'm not sure there is any collectors interest in them, but like I said, you don't see too many of them around, so evidently anyone that owns one is keeping it...

It was a good decent, fairly accurate revolver, with a tolerable DA pull, that I regret selling...I occasionally carry my Ruger 22/45 when I go fishing, and always think when I am that maybe a revolver with "snake shot" in every other chamber would be a better choice...

Just a WAG, but it HAS to be worth at least $150 to $200 in decent condition....but maybe somebody else can give you the actual current "Blue Book" price, mine is a couple of years old...
  3. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

OK.....here you go. Blue Book value for an H&R Model 949:

100% - $115
    98% - $100
    95% - $85
    90% - $70
  4. Sensei

Sensei New Member

Wow, that's depressing. I would've thought the value would be higher than that.
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

sensei,
    take a look at some of the auction sites, i think they are bring a little more than the blue book shows. at texas gunshows they will usually bring at least $150 in 75% and more in better condition.

polishshooter you are thinking about the model 939 or 940 with the swing-out cylinder. the model 949 is a rod ejecting western style.
    bill
  6. kdmack481

kdmack481 New Member

7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Low $50 - High $300
  8. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

kdmack,

Here's a pic of my model 949, 1980 manufacture.
    I've had it a couple years, bought it LNIB.
    I don't have my records available right now, but, I paid around $ 300 for mine.

[​IMG]

Here's a couple more model 949's.
    Nebraska Centennial commemoratives, # 100, & 118 of 300.
    One is mine, the other is my brother's.
    Paid a little more for these!

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jim,
    I simply love those Nebraska Centennials - superb examples of H&Rs.
  10. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Jim,
    Didn't realize you were such a fan.
    If I ever get out of here, I'll try and send you some GOOD pics.:D
    BTW, check out your post on RFC, my brother and maybe 1 other person posted info for your research there.
    Later
    Jim
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2011