H & R Model 949 - information

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bill w, Dec 18, 2009.

1. bill w

bill w New Member

Just picked up an H&R Model 949 today for $100. Doesn't seem to be in bad shape, but I know nothing about them. Wondering what the serial number can tell about this little 22. HHO23795
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

your 949 with the HH letter codes was manufactured in 1994 by the new england firearms/H&R 1871 not the original company who shut thier doors in 1986,
    bill
  3. bill w

bill w New Member

Thanks, Bill,
    I don't know if that's good news or bad. I really wasn't looked for an antique or collectors item, just something serviceable. Does it being mfd. by New England Arms mean that they would have parts? And, did they buy the old H&R tooling? It's still stamped H & R. Gardner, MA on the left side of the frame.
  4. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

what NEF/H&R 1871 purchased was the factory building and all machinery in it. so yes they did have access to the original tooling and used it in making some revolvers but not all of them.

parts suppliers like numrich usually don'''t make distinction between this model and some of the original guns but you do need to give them the serial number and when it was made.
    bill