1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R model 949

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by bubbabud, Sep 15, 2011.

1. bubbabud

bubbabud New Member

I recently bought a .22 revolver marked on the left side above triger gaurdH&R inc. Gardner. gardner. Mass. and on the left side of the 5 1/2 in. barrel is stamped model 949. The gun is blue steel with 95% of blueing good.[holster wear on front of barrel and 9 shot cyl. it has a large half round front sight and the rear sight is dovetailed in to the top strap. the wood hand grip is plain 1pc. the ser. no. is AM971xx. Iwas told that this was one of the last hand guns built byH&R before they were bought bought by N.E.F. I would appreciat any info as to histery and value. Thanks Bubbabud.
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bubbabud,
    Welcome to the forum.
    Your Model 949 was made in 1974 and is a 2nd Model, with the transfer bar safety/ignition system. It is basically a Model 922, 9 shot, .22 cal, solid frame, DA/SA, pull-pin cylinder release revolver dressed-up in Western style features. The 1st Model was first offered in 1961 with a hammer mounted firing pin.
    The original H&R Arms Co/ H&R Inc. fell into terminal bankruptcy in Feb. 1986. Your gun was one of the last series of models, of which there are about a dozen or so, made during the last 12 years of the company's existence. New England Firearms was resurrected from the ruins of H&R Inc. around 1987-88 time period, as a holding company to manufacturing rights and manufactured a limited number of models of the more recent H&R designed revolvers, but mostly single barrel/single shot shotguns and rifles. Around 1991, another holding company H&R 1871 LLC, managed to secure more of the remaining manufacturing rights to the H&R firearms, absorbed NEF as a subsidiary brand name and produced a more extensive line of "modern" revolvers and single barrel shotguns and rifles until the entire remaining assets of H&R Inc. as well as H&R 1871 was purchased by Marlin Firearms company in late 1999.
    In V.Good to excellent condition, the 2nd Model 949s are currently selling at RETAIL in the $195 - $225 range. They are good sturdy, reasonably accurate guns with panache added by the loading gate and side ejector and western style grips.
  3. bubbabud

bubbabud New Member

Jim thank you for your timely and informative reply I am a newcomer to this computer world and still trying to figure out its uses and limitations. [so far so good] I am a long time shooting sport inthousiast and bought th H&R as a plinker and have not been dissapointed. Bubbabud. Tonopah AZ.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

bubba,
    You're welcome, glad to have helped out. As a newcomer, you're doing pretty darn well. When I first started using a computer, most of my messages looked like this:

jjeja[939-QJ3762%^%#)jzm//3a[jf'auewvmasr! wHatt due i hab???
  5. bubbabud

bubbabud New Member

Jim Iam still a little confused I field striped it to clean it and it seems to be made of all steel. I could not find any plastic or aluminum parts and all of the steel seems to be milled and machined I did not find any casting lines or flash. All of the springs are coils no flat springs. It seems to me if a co. made a product like that they would have to charge a fortune for it or go bankrupt. just a feeble attempt at humer and computer practice