H&R Model R-73/32 H&R Mag.caliber Question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by flyingtiger85, May 23, 2011.

1. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

I have seen these models on auction sites.The gun shoots 32 H&R Magnum. I was wondering if you can buy the 32-S&W long ammo with is much cheeper to buy and shoot for the Model R-73.I thought if some member owned one they could tell me.I tried to google it and I couldn't get a clear answer.Thank's If anyone knows anything about these guns.Sometimes I like to shoot other calibers besides 22's.Thank's, The FlyingTiger.

The guns seem reasonalbly priced in excellent condition.Is this for a reason?
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

The guns chambered for the .32 H&R Magnum will also fire .32 S&W Long and .32 S&W (the short ones), interchangeably. Like shooting a .22 short, long or long rifle.

The pricing on those 1990s H&Rs reflects upon the original selling prices which were fairly low. They didn't gain much traction in the market and therefore the demand is fairly low and so are the prices. They are built strong and the design is the latest that H&R, Inc. came up with before they ceased operations in 1986. The reborn H&R 1871 was a successor company to the original and was founded in 1991 by acquiring NEF (1987) and some of the previously unassumed assets of H&R, Inc.
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  3. Gabob

Gabob Well-Known Member

In addition to 32 Long and Short they will also fire .32 ACP since it is semi rimmed (At least my Ruger will)
  4. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Thank's for all the information.This forum is the best!I think I will get one now,Maybe one in the 2-inch version.The ammo isn't readily available at retail stores but there is much online.Kinda in the range of $20.00 for 50 rounds of the 32 S&W long.The 32 H&R magnum ammo seems to be harder to come by.Thank's again! That was my concern!
    Last edited: May 23, 2011
  5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

flyingtiger85,
    You're welcome, thanks for thanking.
    Good luck and good shooting with your R-73. BTW - that model was a duplicate of the older (1984-86) H&R Inc. Model 504 (the ORIGINAL .32 H&R Magnum revolver).
    The ammo from the Brazilian Co. MAGTECH makes a decent grade of .32 S&W Long as well as .32 S&W ammo - usually retailing in the range you mentioned - I've fired a fair amount of it and found it to be acceptable with regard to function and accuracy.