1. Get Gear'd Up! Enter to WIN $1000 in gear!

Please Click Here for full details and to enter. You will need to be registered and logged in to view the details and to participate.

Thanks and good luck to everyone

H&R/NEF hammer problem

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by joncutt87, Apr 1, 2012.

1. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

I have a coworker give me his NEF Survivor to see if I could clean and fix it. The hammer isn't cocking like it should. If you hold on the trigger, and then slowly pull back on the hammer and slowly go back forward everything goes through the motion of the firing, but the hammer won't cock.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

These are fairly simple mechanisms, but do require the use of slave pins to put back together. Sounds like someone may have attempted a 'trigger job' and this is the result.

I would suggest a gunsmith.
  3. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

He said that he was cocking it, and the hammer slipped. This guy doesn't even know how to break it down to clean it.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  4. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

If you pull the trigger on a NEF single shot and pull back the hammer, it won't hold. Never will. Let go of the trigger, cock the hammer, does it hold?
  5. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

No it won't hold open helix
  6. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

The action wont hold open to load it? Im confused, sorry:( You cant cock the hammer and open the action, its a safety issue
  7. joncutt87

joncutt87 Active Member

The hammer won't stay cocked. With the trigger released, and the action closed.
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  8. Helix_FR

Helix_FR Active Member

OK got cha. Your OP said that with the trigger pulled the hammer wont cock. It never will, your pulling the sear away from the hammer but if it wont cock with the trigger in its rest position, he got problems.