The Firearms Forum banner

H&R Pardner compact

7K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Pardner 
#1 ·
Greetings:
I just bought an H&R Pardner compact 20 gauge and wonder if anyone can give me information about it. Here are all the markings on the gun:
On left side of receiver: HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS Co
WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A. PAT FEB. 27, 1900
On top of the barrel: 20 GA. CHOKE
On tang behind trigger
guard: A310171
On plastic butt plate: H&R Arms Co. in circular logo

This is my first post here. Thanks a lot for any information.

#2 · (Edited)
Pardner it's not a Pardner.
Welcome to the forum.
The Pardner name was used by NEF and H&R after 1987 or so.
You have a much earlier single shot. We need to determine exactly which model you have before we can tell much else. Let's start with: Does it have a removable hinge pin (with toggle on top) or is the hinge pin fixed and the forestock pulls off for breakdown?
What do you mean that it is a compact? Short barrel (how long?), short stock (how long?) Sounds like a Model 1908 large frame or a model 1915 small frame?

#3 ·
Thanks! If I was wrong about the name, I'm probably wrong about "compact", too. (It looked like the one in the book at the store where I bought it, and the stock looked short to me).
The forearm snaps off to break it down and the hinge pin is fixed. The gun is 42" overall, with a 28" barrel.
Thanks so much for responding. I appreciate it.

#4 ·
Pardner,
You've got a 1920's vintage Model 1908 SB shotgun, there. The 28" barrel (H&R also offered 30 and 32" barrels for 20 ga. pieces) and the overall length of 42" indicates that the butt stock is pretty much standard for this model (provides approx 14" LOP).
The serial number you provided "suggests" manufacture in the early 1920s. This would make it a 2nd Variation and should have 2 3/4" chamber vs. 2 1/2" for earlier versions.
IF the pistol grip on the butt stock is squared off - it would add credence to the 2nd Var. suggestions. BEFORE shooting - even if it meets all the criteria above - I would have a gunsmith check it for safety and measure the chamber depth - H&R is notorious for using older parts in new variations, until inventory was used up. Good luck with the gun. Got pics? BTW the butt stock is original and is molded, black hard rubber.
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun

Belt Buckle Belt buckle Metal Leather

Gun Shotgun Trigger

#7 ·
Thanks for your effort and for taking the time to respond. It is great to know what it really is. Mine looks exactly like the 1st variation photos--the forearm is tapered the same and it has the bag pistol grip, not the squared off version.
Did they make those with a 28" barrel and would it be a 2 3/4" chamber?

I am not a collector and I hesitate to admit this, but I bought it to refinish the stock, which I am doing. In my defense, it looks like that was done at least once already. I will post a pic when it's done.

Thanks again. This is a great forum and you've helped me a lot.

#8 ·
Pardner,
You're welcome. Thanks for thanking.
If your gun looks exactly like the 1st Variation as shown - we're in a grey area. By "research" my piece should be pre 1921 and have a 2 1/2" chamber. Your piece should be a post 1921 2nd Var. assuming the serial number ranges can be extrapolated or have been correctly. Your gun might also be a transitional piece made during the time a swithover from older variation to newer variation occurs, when older parts are used along with newer features, until the older parts are used up.
You need to have a gunsmith check your chamber depth with a gauge to determine if it is 2 1/2 or 2 3/4"!!!

#12 ·
Duane,
Thanks for the pics. DID you get the chamber checked? I'd like to know for future ref. if it's 2 1/2" or 2 3/4". Thanks. Nice job on the furniture - that old Black Walnut sure takes a good finish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.