H & R Plainsman .22 Model 865

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by mcgyverit, Apr 7, 2012.

1. mcgyverit

mcgyverit New Member

I have a H & R Plainsman .22 Model 865 that is my fathers that i am trying to get back to a functional state.

there are many items that need to be addressed, starting with the bolt handle. It was broke off many years ago. I got a replacement handle to solve that issue.

the magazine is missing, so I ordered a replacement from Numrich. it didnt fit, but i thought maybe the magazine holder was bent as it has seen some wear it looked to me. so i ordered another magazine holder, it looks nothing like the one that was with the gun and doesnt fit onto the barrell. the barrell only has one screw hole in it, while the parts they sent have 2 mounting holes.

so i am needing some help ciphering what it is that i have.

here is the barrell assembly from the underside, notice only the single hole for mounting the magazine holder:
    [​IMG]

Here are the magazine holders, the shorter one is the one that came with the gun:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here is the magazine they sent, does not fit in the magazine holder on the right but fits perfectly in the one on the left:

[​IMG]

Any help the experts can give I would greatly appreciate.
  2. mcgyverit

mcgyverit New Member

Through more research I have found that s/n up to M used a curved magazine, so I am ordering one of those to try
  3. mcgyverit

mcgyverit New Member

ordered one from Numrich, and it doesnt fit. apparently even though the remington magazine is similar, it just doesnt go in the gun. i have called several places and many of the store owners are willing to look, but just havent come across one as of yet.
  4. Shooter45

Shooter45 *Administrator* Staff Member

5. oneoldsap

oneoldsap New Member

I bought one of those H&R 865s on an auction a couple of years ago that someone had tried to do a trigger job on . What they did was file down the top of the trigger so the safety wouldn't work . Numrich had a trigger for like $6.00 . The gun looked new , and I ended up with a total investment of $41.00 + shipping . My grandsons will have a ball with it when they get a little older . It's a nice little .22 , better built than a Marlin IMO.
  6. mcgyverit

mcgyverit New Member

Shooter45, thanks for the tip, i will give them a call