H&R plainsman 865 Age

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by duck32man, Jul 9, 2011.

1. duck32man

duck32man Member

Looking to find the age of a 865 plainsman with serial number A248xxxx. Thanks
  2. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

H&R used the prefix A in 1940.
  3. duck32man

duck32man Member

Thanks RJay - is this info on the net somewhere?
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Well, actually H&R didn't make bolt action rifles until after WW2 ended in 1945. The Plainsman Model 865 was produced from circa 1949 to 1983. The serial number should read 'AZ', which would make it a late version made in 1983.
  5. duck32man

duck32man Member

Jim - upon closer examine your are exactly right. The 2 is a Z. Thanks

Duck
  6. RJay

RJay Well-Known Member

In that case with the correct serial number, H&R used Az in 1983.:) Correct information is always helpful to those from whom information is requested.
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Duck,
    You're welcome - thanks for thanking.

RJay,
    Thanks for the back-up.
  8. jsheehan

jsheehan New Member

I have a 865 and it's has no serial number on it I was wondering how to tell how old the gun is the only marking on it is an "s" behind the rear sight
  9. mcgyverit

mcgyverit New Member

Hate to jump a thread, but does anyone know if these 865 models were ever made without any letter before the SN? I have my Dad's rifle i am in the process of getting back to usability, and there are no letters before the 5 digit SN is the reason I ask.
  10. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

mcgyverit -
    Welcome to the forum.
    H&R was pretty good about marking their guns with some sort of s/n (lot's of .22s were NOT serialed for a while before 1968) but almost all of the later long guns will have letter codes someplace on the left side of receiver. In the case of the 865 - the letter could be anywhere withing the side roll stamp or outside of it - look for two letters setting by themselves somewhere. It is possible to have missed some lettering at the factory - but the serial number will always be there, unless someone illegally removed it.
  11. mcgyverit

mcgyverit New Member

thanks for the quick response. I went and looked with a second pair of eyes and we cannot find the letter code anywhere on the receiver, but it still has the 5 digit SN, I figure it was a 50's vintage just based on his tales of when he got it.
  12. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

mcgyverit,
    Can't do more than look twice - not there, then .........there's always exceptions. Gotta go with your instincts on this one.