H&R "Premier" 32 Double Action Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Thundar, Sep 5, 2005.

1. Thundar

Thundar New Member

One more for the experts. This one is a Harrington & Richardson "Premier" Double Action Revolver. The top of the barrel is marked "HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS COMPANY, WORCESTER, MASS. U.S.A. PAT. APR.2.'95 APR.7.'96". The side of the barrel is marked "PREMIER 32 S. & W. CTGE". The serial number (1586xx) is stamped on the butt. The blueing is 95%. The grips are black plastic. The gun is in the original box. It should have an additional cylinder to change it to a 22 caliber that is missing. Was the barrel also supposed to be changed out when firing a 22 caliber? Value? Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  2. berto64

berto64 Active Member

Thunder, I'm no expert but I've owned several of these top-break H&R revolvers, some in Nickel Plate and a couple in blue.

This one does appear to be extra nice as far as the blueing goes. These pistols take the 32 S&W short cartridge which is getting very hard to find. As far as a 22 conversion, I have no idea. I have never heard of this for this pistol.

In the past in much worse condition I've paid as little as $40 for one but this one appears to be closer to about $80-$90.
    Mind you I'm not an expert but I have delt in these H&R pistols in the past. Hopefully an expert will pop in shortly and give you the real skinny on it.
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2005
  3. inplanotx

inplanotx New Member

This pistol was made in either 22 LR 7 shot OR 32 S&W. Not both!

100% - $95
    98% - $85
    95% - $70
    90% - $55

Hope this helps.
  4. Thundar

Thundar New Member

Thank you. I couldn't belirve H&R would have designed a gun to shoot a 22 through a 32 barrel but I wasn't sure. Here is a scan of the box information plate.

Attached Files:

5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the h&r premier was manufactured between 1895 and 1941. there were two models, first model 1895-1904 (designed for black powder cartridge pressures) and the second model 1905-1941 (designed for smokeless powder cartridges pressures. the best method to determine which model you have is the second model (1905-1941) will have the model name or caliber and or both marked on the left side of the barrel. the first model only has marking on the top of the barrel.

your revolver serial number 1586xx is a second model manufactured between 1905 and 1909. after 1909 the patent dates were eliminated from the top of barrel markings.

the calibers offered were 7 rounds 22 rimfire or 5 rounds 32 centerfire. the label on the inside of the box was generalized for both calibers but the end label of the box should have both the caliber and finish marked on it. the box if original would add about $50 to value.
    bill
  6. shellvrolet

shellvrolet New Member

Gents, I have one of these Premier revolvers taken apart right now to replace some parts. Does anyone know where there is a schematic or exploded view of how this thing goes back together.:eek: Thanks for any replies
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

try numrich arms at www.e-gunparts.com.

to any one who is interested please note the 22 rimfire caliber listed for this revolver. 22 short and long only the long rifle is NOT listed
    bill
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  8. pistolero57

pistolero57 New Member

Did you have any luck finding the parts you needed? Which parts did you need?

I have an old model Premier torn down right now. I am in need of the trigger spring and the trigger.
  9. gmiller1903

gmiller1903 New Member

i just bought a 32 h&r at a yard sale in killeen tx. its a 32 top break and the serial number is 4521xx can anyone tell me when it was made. i only paid $20 im sure its worth it. thanks for any info you can give.
  10. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this 6 digit serial number indicates this is a second model premier. the information below may help determine just which variation this revolver is.

H&R PREMER SECOND MODEL SMALL FRAME TOP BREAK R.F. & C.F.
    Smokeless Powder --------------------------------------------1905-1941
    Small fame double action top break revolver with double top post barrel latch; calibers and cylinder capacity, 22 rimfire-7 rounds, 32 S&W, 5 rounds; automatic cylinder stop; standard finish Nickel with case harden hammer and barrel latch; standard barrel length 3 inches, with 2, 4, 5 and 6 inches available as optional;
    HAS CALIBER MARKINGS ON LEFT SIDE OF BARREL WAS MANUFACTURED FOR SMOKELESS POWDER CARTRIDGE PRESSURES.
    There has not been enough data gathered on serial number to try to come up with a serial number range for the different variations.
    First Variation, model name & caliber marked on left side of barrel, patent dates 5-14-89, 4-2-95, 4-7-96--------------1905-Only
    Second Variation, model name & caliber marked on left side of barrel, patent dates 4-2-95, 4-7-96-------------------------------------1906-1908
    Third Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel, patent date 10-8-95-----------1909-1913
    Fourth Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel, no patent date, state not spelled out in address (MASS)------------------1914-1915
    Fifth Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel same as 4th except different font used in barrel markings--------------------1914-1915
    Sixth Variation, caliber only marked on left side of barrel. State name in barrel marking spelled out (MASSACHUSETTS)----------1916-1924
    Seventh Variation, new grip frame, there is no step down for the grip panels to fit into------------------1925-1942
    After 1930 listed in catalogs as; PREMIER No. 30 .22 Rimfire 7 shot and PREMIER No. 35.32 S&W 5 shot
    VALUE: 100%=$265 60%=$75 Add 10% premium for blue finish; 20% premium 4”, 5” or 6” barrel; 20% premium for 22 rimfire caliber; 10% premium for 7th variation
  11. richardluxford

richardluxford New Member

I have just been given...yes, there are kind people out there....a H & R .32 revolver. The serial number is 239414. On the top of the barrel it reads "Harrington & Richardson Arms Company, Worcester, Mass. USA. Pat Oct.8.1895". On the left side it reads "Premier 32 S&W.CTGE. Can anyone date this revolver for me?

Thanks

Richard
  12. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

using the information i provided above this Premier is a second model 3rd variation dating between 1909 and 1913.

bill
  13. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I have an H&R Premier small frame top break .32 S&W caliber. It is serial # 496935, which puts it in the second model, seventh variation. Unfortunately, this is when they changed the grip frame to where there is no step down for the grip panels to fit into.
    My question is; does anyone know if any other model of H&R top-breaks used this same grip? I have been unable to locate the correct grip for this revolver so I'm beginning to think that there aren't too many of them out there.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Old Gun Guy
  14. oscarmayer

oscarmayer New Member

15. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

I got alot of assistance from Vintage Gun Grips. However, after looking through all of their H&R grips, they were unable to find the correct ones. I'm back to square one on this, and would appreciate hearing from anyone that may have this particular grip on hand. Here are some pics of what the back strap looks like (no stepdown for the grip to fit in), and measurements at different points.1- Disregard
    2.- 1/4"
    3.- 1"
    4.- 2 3/8"
    5.- 1/2"
    6.- 1 1/8"

Thanks!
    Old Gun Guy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]