H&R Receiver Identification

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by sumterharleyman, Dec 9, 2010.

1. sumterharleyman

sumterharleyman New Member

I have an H&R single barrel receiver with the buutstock attached. It is in good shape. All the info it has on it is the Harrington & Richardson, Inc. trademark, their address, the patent number 3988848 and the serial number AU584401. I have been able to figure out that it was made in 1982 from the AU in the serial number, but I have no idea what the model is, or whether it is a single shot shotgun or a single shot rifle. I would like to find a barrel and foreend for it. Does anybody out there know anything about this gun? Thanks.
  2. StoneChimney

StoneChimney New Member

It would have been the single shot shotgun. Same frame used for all gauges.
  3. sumterharleyman

Thanks for that, but I still need to know which model number shotgun.
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

AU = 1980. It is MORE THAN LIKELY some post 1977 variation of the Model 058 TOPPER - in production from circa 1974 - 1981, which was the "standard" SB shotgun in H&R's line-up during that time. It could also have come from the Model 088 AMERICAN CLASSIC - in production from1979 - 1986. Both are very similar in construction. If so, it should have a side lever (right side, next to hammer) take down lever and a transfer bar safety/ignition system (between the firing pin and hammer). Which Model you have is undiscernable without the barrel. H&R made some minor changes during the life span of both models, but I don't believe they would be significant in how the barrel/forearm assembly fit. You should be aware, that finding a well fitting barrel for your receiver may be a trial and error proposition. Good luck.
  5. sumterharleyman

Well, that only adds to my confusion. Your post says that the AU serial number was 1980, but I found an H&R chart that indicated that serial numbers beginning with AU were manufactured in 1982, not 1980.

It does have the take-down latch on the right top of the reveiver, but it does not have a transfer bar between the hammer and the firing pin.

So is it a Model 058 TOPPER, manufactured between 1974 - 1981, or a Model 088 AMERICAN CLASSIC, manufactured between 1979 - 1986?

Thanks
  6. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

just to double check i looked at three different references for the AU letter codes all three say the same thing AU=1980. go with what jim has told you.
    three references checked.
    numrich arms catalog
    blue book
    my personal records

according to numrich arms all single barrel shotguns with the letter codes AR and above (AR,AS,AT,AU,AX,AY,AZ,BA,BB & BC) should have the transfer bar ignition system. numrich arms was the original publisher of these letter codes. they got their information straight from the factory in 1986 when they purchased a very large part of H&R's parts inventory.
    bill
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  7. sumterharleyman

According to the schematics at http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=2328 it very well could be a 156 Huntsman rifle or, if its a shotgun, a 158, 159 162 176 188 188A 198 459 48 480 480A 490 58 580 590 88 98 or 99. The receiver appears identical on all these models.

What I need to know is exactly what model and type gun the serial number AU584401 was assigned to.

If you could send the link where you got the year info from, I would appreciate it.

Thank you
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  8. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

did not check the internet just books. numrich arms catalog and the blue book of modern gun values and my personal reference material for the soon to be published H&R book. the internal mechanism of all the shotgun you listed are the same. the difference is in the transfer bar ignition system which H&R introducted in 1977 (AR letter code). the patent you listed in your first post (3,988,848) is the patent for H&R's shotgun version of the transfer bar ignition system. this means your reciever should be equiped with it (regardless of what is in it now). when ordering parts for this shotgun reciever from numrich arms use can use any of the model number you listed just be sure and tell them it has the transfer bar ignition system along with the serial number.

other than the above i don't know what else to tell you.
    bill
  9. sumterharleyman

So I am to understand that the same basic receiver was used for all those models then? Sheeeze... I guess the safest thing to do is ship it to Harrington & Richardson and let them rebarrel it however they see fit. If its a rifle, then .223 or a shotgun .20 gauge.

Thanks for the info.
  10. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Sorry, but I don't think you will have any luck with this either.
    They are now a different company, and will not support any of the guns from the original H&R, or so I have been informed any how!
    Good luck, hope you find something!
    Jim