H&R replacement mainspring alignment

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by dexterblack, Mar 13, 2011.

1. dexterblack

dexterblack New Member

Near the People's Republic of Boulder, CO
    We have a Harrington & Richardson Model 900 (.22 2.5" bbl)... It's been in storage 40 some odd years. The gun appears seldom if ever fired, but the plastic trigger spring bushing has fallen apart. We've ordered a replacement from Numrich w/steel steel bushing instead of plastic. It should arrive in a week or so.

The photo shows one side of the bushing extending on the same axis as the spring guide, and the other side diverging from the axis of the spring guide at about 30 degrees. This forms a "cup" into which the hammer fits.

The mainspring is inserted with the bushing at the trigger end, but I don't know if the offset should angle toward the top of the trigger or down toward the trigger hinge. The plastic bushing was in too many pieces to determine its orientation before it fell apart. No response on the technical forum yet.

The Numrich site shows a good photo of the part, with the offset bushing.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/...50F&catid=7918

Thanks in advance for any info!
  2. woolleyworm

woolleyworm Active Member

Sometimes these threads can get buried quickly before someone that knows the answer can get to it. I'm not certain of the oreintation; the link wasn't working. Did you save a copy of the diagram? I can take mine apart on Monday and check if you don't have a definitive answer by then.
  3. dexterblack

dexterblack New Member

Near the People's Republic of Boulder, CO
    Thanks, Wooly...

I think I am able to attach the photo I have as a pdf, if that works for you. Here goes: (I'll try again if it doesn't work.)

Attached Files:

4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

dexter,
    See my response to your question on the "technical questions" thread. But, in the mean time - the straight part goes towards the back, the canted part goes forward.