H&R Revolver

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by alexsbuddy, Aug 27, 2006.

1. alexsbuddy

alexsbuddy New Member

I am trying to find out more info on a revolver. I know it is a H&R double action, break top, auto ejecting model, 38 cal, 5 rounds, and the serial number is 088xxx. The barrel is round and on top of the bridge is stamped:

Harrington & Richardson Arms Co.
    Worcester, Mass USA Pat'd Oct 4 '87

It is nickel plated with a black handle. The barrel is approx. 3 1/2" long. At the top of the handle grip there is a circle with a square target in it that has what appears to be five bullet holes in the target.

Any info on this revolver, i.e., model number, model name, approx. year of manufacture, etc....., would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi alexsbuddy......welcome to TFF.

It would help if you can post some nice, clear pictures of your revolver.

If you can, our resident expert, Bill Goforth, will be along shortly to tell you exactly what you have.......
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

this is a 2nd model large frame H&R auto-ejecting revolver. the 2nd model were manufactured between 1890 and 1904. the one patent date marking of 10-4-1887 was used between 1890 and 1893. i am still researching H&R handguns but it appears that the first digit in the serial number is most likely an O and not a zero. i have no proof but i believe the serial numbers of this variation were used in this order, 18901891=no letter code;1892 O letter code and 1893 A letter code. this revolver is definately a black powder model and should not be used with modern smokeless loads.
    bill
  4. alexsbuddy

alexsbuddy New Member

Bill, thank-you very much for the information. I truly appreciate your assistance. Any idea where I can obtain black powder 38 cal loads for this gun?
  5. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*