The Firearms Forum banner

H&R serial number

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Shooter45 
#1 ·
Here is another odd one, this time an H&R. The gun is numbered 224460, but it looks like whoever was stamping numbers the day it was made put 224660 on the bottom of the grip and then corrected the mistake by overstamping the first 6 with a 4. Again it makes me wonder...

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Large Frame, Automatic Ejecting, 3rd Model, 2nd Variation.

Made between 1909 and 1912. It is a smokeless model.

The serial number - goof ups happen.. Serial numbers were hand stamped back then. The assembler might have been distracted, or it could have been Monday or Friday, or very early in the morning and he was suffering from a hangover. Some collectors like oddballs like that, sorta like coin and stamp collectors go for error coins/bills and stamps.

#4 ·
Ha, I have never heard of firearms error collectors. Thank you Knight.
You're welcome.

It is a functional error, so it really doesn't affect the gun. Since it is just an nominal error, one by the factory, and safety/performance isn't an issue - it'd be a rarer find and may add a couple dollars to the value for certain collectors. Not all collector would want it because of that error, but it stands out from regular production.

Those 3rd models aren't worth a bunch. Yours might be in the $100-$140 range, then maybe $5-$10 more for the error. If I were selling I wouldn't use it as a central point for gauging value. But for insuring it, I'd add the $5-$10 on top of the condition grading value.

#5 ·
I bought one that has no patent date on it no hammer h&r 32 s&w when your holding the gun like your gonna shoot it on left side barrel it has h&r automatic and on the right side it has 32 ctge serial number is 6digits 176xxx can anyone tell how old or what model it is
top of barrel it has h&r arms com. second line is address of mass. usa when you break it down it has 322 on cylinder

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.