H & R ??? sgl shot 16ga, very unusual

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by toplot, May 19, 2011.

1. toplot

toplot New Member

Newly aquired 16ga marked RANGER on the side of the reciever, and only "MADE IN USA CHOKE " on the left side barrel..30" with a 9/16" solid rib, top lever ,automatic tang safety and Internal Hammer!! Ser#H12493 on lower tang and all parts have #s matching minus the letter H. Very tight, 80% over all. Any help out there? Thanx
  2. jack404

jack404 Former Guest

toplot , welcome , i cant find a H&R called ranger but they did make hardware guns for many folks and ranger and texas ranger where both hardware store names, Texas ranger i think was a montgomery ward but was a double barrel.

the real H&R experts will be along soon and i hope will educate us both
  3. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

toplot,
    Welcome to the forum.
    You have a fairly scarce example of the H&R HAMMERLESS Single Barrel. This model was produced in two series: 1st Var. circa 1925-30, 2nd 1931 to 1941 (2nd Var. is primarily due to the addition of the model number [#3], 34 and 36" barrel offerings and the standardization of the .410 bore at 3" chamber) . The "HAMMERLESS" is one of the first, if not the first, hammerless, single barrel shotguns made in the U.S. It was described in ads, which I've seen as having the "fastest locktime" (only 1/4" travel) - having a military type striker system; also with a higher grade wood, finish and fit than the "regular" H&R single barrel model (M1908/08 STANDARD) of that time. It was also claimed to be "at home in the field as well as the trap range" because of the striker speed lock and smooth, easy trigger pull. It was offered in 12, 16 and 20 ga. and .410-12mm bore (2 1/2 or 2 9/16" chambers - up to1937) and .410 bore 3", after 1937. Options included: full length, matte finish top rib; double Ivory mid and muzzle beads; ventilated rubber butt pad (rather than black, hard rubber which was standard.) The extra long barrel break lever can be pushed to left or right to open the action - making it ambidextrous in operation. It also comes standard with an automatic, sear block safety - with switch on the rear tang.
    With respect to the serial number: in this case the "H" prefix was used to desinate the "HAMMERLESS" model and has no bearing on year of manufacture. Currently, there are no available serial number to year of manuf. records available - so dating this piece is sketchy. I don't believe many of these were made, so I'm going to guess yours was made sometime in the mid 1930's.
    I have 16 ga. and a .410 bore examples in my collection. The 16 ga has serial number BH546 - indicating production in 1941 - a very late example.
    FROM THE STANDPOINT of a serious H&R collector - I'm of the opinion that the Sears RANGER brand designation on your piece does not detract from the value or collectibility - in fact I would consider that to be an attribute - I've never seen another and have never heard of another with that stamping.
    Current RETAIL value in NIB/100% condition would easily top $400; an EXCELLENT condition/95% - would top $350; poor condition/60% or less) would still bring over $150.
    Can you post some pics of it?
    I'll attach a couple of pics of my 16 ga. ; don't currently have any of the .410 bore - as I acquired it fairly recently - ($300).

IMG_2244.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_2255.jpg

IMG_2249.jpg
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Forgot to pic the serial number on bottom trigger bow tang:
    IMG_2250.jpg
  5. toplot

toplot New Member

Great reply..Very informative. I doubt I would have found this info anywhere else! The seller said it was a Iver Johnson and I bought it for a companion to my Hercules grade 90%+ double. After recieving the gun he emailed me and said it might be a H&R..I recognized features not found on the average sgl bbl shotgun and was happy with the puchase (Long time 16ga fan) Also I'm very curious by nature LOL. Mirror bore, chip missing @ toe of stock. 3" chamber depth so 2 3/4" friendly ( still kicks like hell LOL) My shotgun does not have a ambidextruos top lever, releases the barrel only to the right. Gauge designation obviously relocated on the side due to the rib. 30" bbl. Hopefully some pics will come through..Robert

Attached Files:

6. toplot

toplot New Member

One other pic with Ser#..Thanx Jim

Attached Files:

7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

toplot,
    You're welcome, glad to help out - and thanks for thanking.
    ALSO, thanks for posting those EXCELLENT pics. That is the first one (of the few that I've seen) with the optional "top rib". I'll bet that one saw some time on the Trap range.
  8. toplot

toplot New Member

Jim..If it saw time on the trap range that shooter was a helluva lot tougher than me. In the mid 70s I was shooting 8-10 thou targets a year. Gettin' older but still have my Rem 31 custom Oly rib I built when I owned my own shop in Nebr, along with a 31TC, mdl 10 solid rib trap, a 29T and a 870 TC just to remind me where all of the money went! I was going to graft a higer comb on the H&R to make it more shootable..But now I'l just repair the toe of the stock and keep it orig, to keep or to sell....Thanx again
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

top,
    I hear you! I shoot "100" target loads a week at my club's wobble trap range - been doing it for 2.5 years - got into it late in life - love it. Those "hunert" target rounds hurt a bit at first, but I don't feel them much at all now. I'm thinking that back before the days of "target" grade pumps and O/Us, people used what they had and what was deemed best for that time. I know that there were alot of "shock absorbing" pads and heavily padded vests and jackets back then - some still show up in the antique boxes at the gun shows. Most of the guys I shoot with have been doing it for years and in some cases several decades - most of them have higher priced guns than my inexpensive Mossbery 535 - but I shoot just as well as some of top guys and better than most -my gun fits me perfectly and once I learned where the swarm goes, learned to follow through and some trigger time - I can hit those 50 mph randomly thrown birds. I've shot a couple rounds with an older 16 pump with an adjustable collet type choke - best round was an 18, but I must say the recoil was a bit lessened. We've got a couple guys who shoot SxS - one a S.Stevens 311 and another with an old no-name - both guys are pretty good, breaking 20+ majority of the time.
    If you get the urge to sell that baby, give me a toot.
  10. Boris

Boris Former Guest

I want it.
  11. toplot

toplot New Member

Jim I respect your "in memory of Mr. goforth" as his name came up several times in my research on the 16..Passed away in Jan I understand. Glad he wrote books so all of that knowledge was not lost! My neighbor just returned from Redding Cali where his father passed away. He brought back guns to sell so I ended up with a 94 30WCF SRC, A Marlin Mountie and a H&R TRAPPER 7 shot revolver with the history of his stepmother growing up on a cattle ranch in Nebr, and this was her sidearm, a little history to go along with the revolver. Since I'm a fulltime trapper in the winter months here in south/central wy. I'm tempted to keep it, however I don't collect H&Rs and need money to pay for the others. I feel this is getting to far along for forum discussion so...trader82325@yahoo.com..Robert Dailey..Yes I would sell the Hammerless 16 ga..Robert
  12. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

toplot,
    32 magnum gets ALL the cool stuff.
    Sell that 16 ga. to a Nebraska H&R guy! (ME ):D
    Just kidding, it couldn't go to a better home if Jim was to get it!
  13. toplot

toplot New Member

Don't count yourself out..Had a gunshop in Kimball Nebr for years..GO BIG RED!
  14. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

Been running into a few H&R fans from Nebraska, or formally from Nebraska lately, kind of nice to know there is more than 1 of us out there!
  15. toplot

toplot New Member

Here's the Trapper,shows wear but shoots! I'm going to offer it and the 16 as a pkg, Still waiting on a reply from Jim..Robert

Attached Files:

16. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

toplot,
    see my response to your e-mail. I'm afraid that I'll have to decline - extenuating circumstances force this decision - too dang many H&R shotguns, already and not enough room. Not to mention cash flow - LOL:p
  17. toplot

toplot New Member

That's OK, don't care if I keep it..The trapper mdl revolver is sold! Thanx everyone
  18. jamesjo

jamesjo New Member

That's a cool shotgun, wish I had the bucks.
    You are making a good choice in keeping it.
    I never buy any H&R's with the intention of selling though!:D