H&R single shot

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Curtis R, Apr 20, 2012.

1. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

I bought a 12 ga singleshot at a pawn shop for 60$. I am going to use it to practice wood and metal refinishing. the barrel is 20" and the trigger guard has been broken and replaced. then i read the side.

TOPPER M48
    Harrington & richardson arms co
    worcester mass made in u.s.a.

i have yet to find a sereal # or man. date.
    any info would be helpful
  2. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I have a H&R single shot in 20 gauge and it's lots of fun blasting stuff laying around in the Nevada desert.Everyone likes shooting it.When the gun opens look just under the where the shell inserts on that flat surface for a serial #.
  3. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

i have checked from front to back inside out and no serial number or date. the more i look at this gun the more i like it. dont think the barrel is supposed to be only 20" lol can't wait to shoot it.
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  4. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

ok here's mine.

Attached Files:

5. flyingtiger85

flyingtiger85 Well-Known Member

Heres a better picture of my H&R 20 Gauge.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  6. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

Curtis, I have an old Stenens 12 gauge sawed off single shot shotgun. I do not know what year it is. I think I paid $40.00 for it. I had Chappels gun shop go through it and they put in a new ejector and everyting else was in great condition. There is no cereal number.

It is my understanding that before 1968 not all rifles and shotguns were required to have serial numbers. After 1968 however, it was mandatory.

Chappels could not tell me what year my shotgun was made, however I think they said around 1950, but I could be wrong because that was about 20 years ago so my memory is vague. Some firearms like yours and mine can only be identified from someone that knows the history. Hopefully someone here can help.

Nice pics.
  7. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

thanks highwayboy while cleaning it i took the buttplate off and there was a piece of paper stuck in the screw hole that said read me. It was a note from the previous owner. It said his name and the date he bought the gun wich was in 1982. it also said that the gun was 80 years old when he bought it. I know the note isn't much but i got a frame for it to help preserve it. I just thought it was neat.
  8. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

tiger thats a sweet looking shotgun. Looks like loads of fun.
  9. Iron Eagle

Iron Eagle Well-Known Member

Curtis, those things kick like a Kentucky mule. To cut down on the recoil, get one of those slide on butt pads. Even with a low brass #6 shot, it will feel like it is going to tear your arm off. With 00 buck, it will stand straight up on recoil. Sold mine and got a nice Mossberg with a ported barrel. Sweet!
  10. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

:lmao2::yikes:Hopefuly i'll find out tomorrow and i will call it "Donkey"
  11. 76Highboy

76Highboy Well-Known Member Supporting Member

That is amazing. I would also frame it if I were you.
  12. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

Ok it's name is "Donkey" did ok with bird shot but when it came to the 3" 00buck well... let's just say it sprang the fore grip everytime. Gunna have a bruised arm in the a.m. but a good bruise sure was fun.
  13. Curtis R

Curtis R New Member

The trigger guard is a replacement and I was wondering if there is a need for a trigger guard at all. What's everyone opinion on the subject?
  14. M48_HANDLER

M48_HANDLER New Member

I have a question .. I have a TOPPER M48 16 GA CHOKE. Is it an accurate firearm when its sawed off ?
  15. gdmoody

gdmoody Moderator Supporting Member

It is illegal to saw off a shotgun barrel to less than 18", you won't get an answer to your question here.