H&R Sportsman 22 LR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mbomb1, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

For a .22 revolver of that vintage, that appears to be in quite decent shape. 22s tend to get shot a lot more than most pistols. For cleaning up surface rust on bluing, people used to recommend very fine steel wool (like 000) but I don't know if that is still current thinking.

PS - I would NOT get it refinished. Collectors hate refinished guns, and as I said, yours does not look too bad. (Is the other side a horror show?) Honest age looks much better than a face lift in the long run. I have my father's High Standard Model C of about the same vintage, and all the wear is the mark of his hand - I'll never refinish it.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  2. pepdaddy1947

pepdaddy1947 New Member

I am new to threads and TFF. My daughter says I am a digital dinosaur.
    My wife's Uncle Harry was "frugal." When he passed in 2010 a piece was found under his bed. Zip case. H&R Sportsman M8XXX-x on grip frontstrap. XXX matches cylinder stamp. It came to me on "a long term loan." I found four powder grains in the barrel, and faint smoke on the front of one cylinder bore. I reckon Uncle Harry lived up to his rep, even in 1952. He fired it once. It worked. He zipped it up and there it lay. To my knowledge no 22 rounds were found in the house! The piece is 90%+ and will go to the range soon. Thank you all for this thread. LOTS of good information.
  3. Disp871

Disp871 New Member

I have recently acquired an H&R sportsman 22 long rifle ctg revolver. The serial number is 1611 both on the grip and under the cylinder it has no other markings for the serial number. On the cylinder it reads Patent applied for. It has a fixed front site and from what I can tell the rear is fixed also as it what releases the barrel to gain access to the cylinder. On the top of the barrel it reads Harrington & Richards arms co. Worcester Mass USA.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  4. HossFly

HossFly New Member

OK< thread needs a little reviving :eek:

- I have i guess a early 1st production maybe?-
    Double Action
    Serial #260
    Patent Applied For on cylinder & also 260 twice
    Right side marked 22 LONG RIFLE CTG
    Left side H&R Sportsman
    Firing pin in frame
    Front sight non adjustable & pinned
    Rear looks to be adjustable for windage only?
    One piece checkered stocks-
    Finish is bad, i'd like to restore it since it was bought new by my wifes Grandfather & handed down to her Father & now me (he had no sons & I'm the only son'in'law that he felt like deserved it since his other two are dummies )
    Thats bout it- I'll post pictures tomorrow when my camera comes home
    Only issue i can see is the ejection star does not pop up when opened- I took the barrel off & saw the hook slide was missing & the point on the hook looked worn but have nothing to compare it to? Numrich shows both for the 999 but neither for the older Sportsman - Can you tell me if they will work?

Tryed a indoor pic from my phone-
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  5. dave3209

dave3209 New Member

I have a H&R Model 999 Sportsman Double Action revolver, S/N D28958, 9 shot, in excellent to very good condition.
    On the left side of the barrel it says, H. & R. "SPORTSMAN" DOUBLE ACTION and on top it says HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO. WORCESTER, MASS, U.S.A. and on left side it says 22 LONG RIFLE CTG.
    It has a one piece walnut grip.
    Can you tell what year it was made and its value?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013