H&R Sportsman 22 LR

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by mbomb1, Apr 14, 2006.

1. JoeKC

JoeKC New Member

Jim

Thank you! I appreciate your input and thoughts. You're providing a great service to those that enjoy these H&R firearms. Thank you for carrying on the work that Mr Goforth and others started.

It was a great pleasure to find this early Sportsman. I like many others, shot a H&R pistol when was a kid. My father (who was born in 1937) let me shoot his 922, which was given to him by his father. That little 922 is showing its age, but still going strong, and still in the family. Happy Easter. - Joe
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Joe,
    You're welcome - glad to share.
  3. Bluegrass

Bluegrass New Member

Hello Jim, I see your not very far from me here in the LV.
    I thought I would help advance your data base with info on my Sportsman specimen.
    Seems it's a mid 37 to 38 year according to your list of mfgers info.
    2 Pat #, ser 456xx, cylinder last 3 numbers match, cylinder has an outer rim, front sight is adjustable, rear sight is adjustable, fires off the hammer and small left side cylinder lock and 6 " barrel.
    I purchused it about 1967. It's about my same age +/-.
    Hope the photos do it justice as I believe it to be in very good conditon for it's age according to what I see on this board.
    Good luck and glad your here to offer infor in these pieces of history.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 9, 2012
  4. Bluegrass

Bluegrass New Member

Here are a couple more images to round out this peice.

Attached Files:

5. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Bluegrass,
    Howdy neighbor.
    Thanks for the SPORTSMAN data! Your piece fits into the post March 1936 era with the two patent numbers - probably mid year from the numbers I'm seeing. It's the "standard" 1st Model 6th Variation. Looks to be in EXC. condition. RETAIL value - as I've estimated before is a bit lower for these older guns (even though they are, IMHO, better shooters than the newer ones, is in the $375 to $425 range. I hope you take some time to give it a work out at the range. Thanks for the kind words. I'm doing my best to promote the SPORTSMAN for what it truly is/was.
  6. Bluegrass

Bluegrass New Member

Thank you again Jim.
    It has been used in the past for target and general carry during small game season but does't get much use lately.
    How this all come about was on Sunday my son brought to my attention a back page article in the latest issue of Trader mag. about these break tops that started me looking for the specific info and so here we are.
    Good luck.
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Bluegrass,
    You're most welcome. And good luck to you, too!
  8. WestPacSailor

WestPacSailor New Member

I recently inherited an H&R Sportsman Double Action and was hoping the members here could help me out with some information about the age and value of the gun.

The gun was left to me by my wife's grandfather. Before his passing he stated that he acquired the gun in either 1940 or 1941, so I'm assuming it was manufactured in the late 1930s. The serial number is 38###. There are also two small patent numbers on the side of the cylinder, 203463 & 490473. I could be mistaken on the second number as it is partially obscured by a rust pit. The grip appears to be real wood. Also, there is a small, spring-loaded tab inside the rear of the trigger guard. What is the purpose of that?

As you can see in the photo, the gun is in rough shape, but it shoots straight so I'll probably hang on to it. My kids like to shoot and I think this will be a good target pistol for them.

Thank you in advance for any information.

[​IMG]
  9. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

WestPacSailor,
    You have a 1st Model SPORTSMAN 999 6th Variation. The frame was most likely made and numbered sometime in 1934-'35, but the final assembly was made after March of 1936 (two patent dates on cylinder indicate this.)
    The "little tab inside the trigger guard" is the single action sear release lever. Being a true Double Action - that gun was also capable of Single Action firing. The SPORTSMAN revolvers from that time frame were/are very accurate - each gun was tested for accuracy and function before being boxed for retail sale.
    Enjoy it - your kids should be thrilled - single action pull from factory was set between 2 1/2 and 3 lbs.
  10. WestPacSailor

WestPacSailor New Member

Thank you, Jim. That's exactly what I was looking for. Since I intend to keep this gun and pass it down, I'm going to look into getting it refinished. Hopefully, it will last another 75 years.
  11. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Member

For a .22 revolver of that vintage, that appears to be in quite decent shape. 22s tend to get shot a lot more than most pistols. For cleaning up surface rust on bluing, people used to recommend very fine steel wool (like 000) but I don't know if that is still current thinking.

PS - I would NOT get it refinished. Collectors hate refinished guns, and as I said, yours does not look too bad. (Is the other side a horror show?) Honest age looks much better than a face lift in the long run. I have my father's High Standard Model C of about the same vintage, and all the wear is the mark of his hand - I'll never refinish it.
    Last edited: May 3, 2012
  12. pepdaddy1947

pepdaddy1947 New Member

I am new to threads and TFF. My daughter says I am a digital dinosaur.
    My wife's Uncle Harry was "frugal." When he passed in 2010 a piece was found under his bed. Zip case. H&R Sportsman M8XXX-x on grip frontstrap. XXX matches cylinder stamp. It came to me on "a long term loan." I found four powder grains in the barrel, and faint smoke on the front of one cylinder bore. I reckon Uncle Harry lived up to his rep, even in 1952. He fired it once. It worked. He zipped it up and there it lay. To my knowledge no 22 rounds were found in the house! The piece is 90%+ and will go to the range soon. Thank you all for this thread. LOTS of good information.
  13. Disp871

Disp871 New Member

I have recently acquired an H&R sportsman 22 long rifle ctg revolver. The serial number is 1611 both on the grip and under the cylinder it has no other markings for the serial number. On the cylinder it reads Patent applied for. It has a fixed front site and from what I can tell the rear is fixed also as it what releases the barrel to gain access to the cylinder. On the top of the barrel it reads Harrington & Richards arms co. Worcester Mass USA.

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
  14. HossFly

HossFly New Member

OK< thread needs a little reviving :eek:

- I have i guess a early 1st production maybe?-
    Double Action
    Serial #260
    Patent Applied For on cylinder & also 260 twice
    Right side marked 22 LONG RIFLE CTG
    Left side H&R Sportsman
    Firing pin in frame
    Front sight non adjustable & pinned
    Rear looks to be adjustable for windage only?
    One piece checkered stocks-
    Finish is bad, i'd like to restore it since it was bought new by my wifes Grandfather & handed down to her Father & now me (he had no sons & I'm the only son'in'law that he felt like deserved it since his other two are dummies )
    Thats bout it- I'll post pictures tomorrow when my camera comes home
    Only issue i can see is the ejection star does not pop up when opened- I took the barrel off & saw the hook slide was missing & the point on the hook looked worn but have nothing to compare it to? Numrich shows both for the 999 but neither for the older Sportsman - Can you tell me if they will work?

Tryed a indoor pic from my phone-
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  15. dave3209

dave3209 New Member

I have a H&R Model 999 Sportsman Double Action revolver, S/N D28958, 9 shot, in excellent to very good condition.
    On the left side of the barrel it says, H. & R. "SPORTSMAN" DOUBLE ACTION and on top it says HARRINGTON & RICHARDSON ARMS CO. WORCESTER, MASS, U.S.A. and on left side it says 22 LONG RIFLE CTG.
    It has a one piece walnut grip.
    Can you tell what year it was made and its value?
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013