H&R Sportsman 22

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by skydog576, May 1, 2009.

1. skydog576

skydog576 New Member

I have an H&R Sportsman 22 with 6" barrel, that I inherited from my step-dad. It was made in 1972, by serial number. I need to know what I can safely shoot in the gun, without destroying it, me or anyone around me. I know magnums won't fit. Anyone with any experience that can tell me whether to use hyper, high or standard velocities or long rifles? Also, if leading would be a problem with the higher velocities? I would like for my wife to learn to shoot it for personal defense, at home, so I need to use the highest that the gun is capable of.:confused:
  2. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

if in good shooting condition a 1972 era model 999 should be able to handle any 22 rimfire (short, long or long rifle) cartridge manufactured today.

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN SECOND MODEL (NEW FRAME)---------1953-1972
    Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 6 inches, Adjustable Sights
    VALUE: NIB:=$425, 95%=$365, 60%=$195

MODEL 999 SPORTSMAN THIRD MODEL (TRANSFER BAR IGNITION)-1973-1986
    Top Break, Double Action, 22 Long Rifle Caliber, 9 shot, Blue Finish, Barrel Length 4 & 6 inches (4 inch not added until 1979, Adjustable Sights. In 1979 Only the Model name was advertised as Model 999 Automatic-Ejecting and it was offered in that year only in 32 S&W Long caliber, 6 shot.
    VALUE: NIB:=$425, 95%=$350, 60%=$175

bill
  3. skydog576

skydog576 New Member

This gun has more sentimental value than above, but I do want to shoot it without messing it up. It has some wear around the outside of the cylinder, but looks good overall. The only wear on the body, is holster wear on the barrel. Thanks for the info!
  4. tman

tman New Member

The extractor on my H&R Sportsman is not pushing out brass properly. The cartridges seem to fit very tightly in the cylinder. I fed Remington golden 36 gr LRNHP .22lr and those were really stuck in the cylinder. then tried Aguila 20 gr super colibri .22lr. They also stuck but not as badly. they are wedged so tightly in the cylinder that the extractor won't push them out after opening with the top break.
    I've wire brush scrubbed the cylinder a couple of times but no improvement. Any suggestions on whether the issue is the cartridge or the extractor mechanism? Than ks.
    Tman
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

i am sorry but problem of this nature my have several caused and are very hard to evaluate with out the revolver in hand. the model 999 sportsman was introduced in 1932 and remained in production in one form or another until 1999. there are three model many variations and two different manufacturer. i don't think i can properly evaluate your problem, as you have already done what i would recommend clean the cylinder.
    bill