H&R Sportsman 999 6"

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by DEFCON727, Mar 10, 2008.

1. DEFCON727

DEFCON727 New Member

Hello,

I am new to this great site.

I have the aforementioned pistol and am inquiring about the date of manufacture. The serial number is AY125620.

Thank you,
    Tom
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Tom....welcome to TFF. :)

Keep checking back. Our resident expert on H&R's, Bill Goforth ("World's Greatest Expert On H&R's"....he's literally writing the book on 'em), should be along shortly and can tell you everything worth knowing on your gun.
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

H&R used the letter codes "AY" in 1982. model 999's of this era appear on the auction sites quite often and depending on condition will usually bring between $200 (60%) to $300 plus (like new in the box). H&R revolvers of the 1960's 70's and 80's are valued more for their ability as a shooter than collectors staus.
    bill
  4. just Joe

just Joe New Member

I'm also looking for some info on the Sportsman. My wife and I recently moved into her grandmothers house after she passed away. I found the revolver in her sock drawer and I know nothing about it...I don't even know if it's ever been fired. This will actually be the first gun I've owned. The serial number is AU147710.

By the way...great forum!
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

joe,
    H&R used the "AU" letter codes in 1980. this will be a good first handgun, ammo is inexpensive so your can practice alot and the model 999 is easy to shoot, operate and accurate.
    bill
    Last edited: May 1, 2008
  6. stash247

stash247 New Member

My late Uncle favored the H&R for road hunting, from his truck; he shot at least three starboard side windows out of it, with the revolver, of which I am certain, because I was sitting in the truck, next to the windows, when they exploded, from his shots!
    Just the same, I have 'fetched' a lot of gamebirds, and such, for that old hillbilly, and deer, as well, that fell to that .22 revolver, and they all made good table fare.
    Uncle Kink liked his a lot; It's in my safe, today.