H&R "SPORTSMAN" double action .22

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by 45Auto, Apr 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

I have a 9 shot top-brake revolver marked as follows:

left upper barrel flat: H&R "SPORTSMAN" double action (in two lines)

right upper barrle flat: Harrington & Richardson Arms co. Warcaster, Mass, USA

right side of barrel in front of cylinger: 22 LONG RIFLE CTG.

The serial No. is located on the front side of the grip strap, which would be visable w/the one piece grip in place. The serial No. is also located on left side of the frame under the grip. Also on the left side, well below the serial No. is a capital letter F. The grip area of the frame is shaped like a half moon. There is a screw hole in the back of the grip frame to hold the grip on. The wood grip is missing.

The firing pin is part of the hammer. It has coil springs. 6 inch barrel.

My questions are as follows:

When was this revolver made?

What model No. is it?

Are the parts compatable with other models?

I'm looking for information to use when ordering parts.

Thanks,
    Greg
  2. Xracer

Xracer *TFF Admin Staff Mediator*

Hi Greg:

Keep checking back. Our resident expert Harrington & Richardsons, Bill Goforth (he's literally writing the book on them ), should be along shortly to tell you all you'd like to know about your H&R.

*Shameless Plug*
    Books by Bill Goforth:
    Iver Johnson's Arms & Cycle Works 1871-1993
    H&R Arms Company 1871-1986 (due fall of 2008)
    available from www.gunshowbooks.com
  3. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

greg,
    very good description of the model 999 sportsman double action model. you gave me every thing i needed except what the seial number is. the sportsman double action model 999 was introduced in october 1932 and remained in production until the end in 1986. the grip frame you describe is called by collector as "the rice frame" after the person to whom the patent was issued to. Rienzi Rice. H&R offered 11 different styles of grips that would fit this frame.

there are actually three seperately models of the model 999 sportsman double action revolver;
    first model 1932-1952 (rice frame)
    second model 1953-1973 (square butt two piece grips)
    third model 1974 -1986 (same grip frame with transfer bar ignition system).

with the serial number i can give you a manufacture era of plus or minus a year or two (on pre1940 years). serial numbers start in 1932 at 01 (or 101) and go up to almost 100,000 by 1939. some early models will have a D letter code (for double action) usually those manufactured before about 1934. starting in 1940 H&R added a letter code for all firearm they made that year. 1940=A and up to 1986=BC.

fyi, the model 999 sportsman double action was manufactured in limited number thru-out the wwII years (1942-1945).
    bill
  4. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

Thanks Bill, this revolver may be alot older than I thought. The No. is: 34121.

I'm going to be looking for a grip for it. If you know of any sources.

Greg
  5. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

greg,
    your model 999 sportsman double actin is a first model 6th variation manufactured between 1937 and 1939. the lowest number observed for his variation is 30288 and the highest is 89761.
    bill
  6. slt_hwr05

slt_hwr05 New Member

I have a 9 shot top-brake revolver marked as follows:

left upper barrel flat: H&R "SPORTSMAN" double action (in two lines)

right upper barrle flat: Harrington & Richardson Arms co. Warcaster, Mass, USA

right side of barrel in front of cylinger: 22 LONG RIFLE CTG.

It was my fathers and i was wanting to find out the year on it the serial # is: 71890 i belive only # i can find it old and need of cleanning...Any help would be great..

THANKS,
    SHANNON
  7. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

shannon,
    the serial number of your model 999 sportsman is in the same range as the one above it. it is a first model sixth variation manufactured 1937 to 1939.
    bill
  8. slt_hwr05

slt_hwr05 New Member

Thank you for your help...I'm not looking to sell it, but i was wondering in mint conditon what would it's value be? I'm looking to fix it back up to the way my father had it before my other family members got there hands on it!!!!
  9. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

the value of a model 999 sportsman form this era could be as much as $425 (100% of original finish and like new in the box). a model 999 from this era that has been refurbished has 0% of originial finish and then the value is only as a shooter and would be about $200 to $250 depending on the quality of refurbishing.
    bill
  10. slt_hwr05

slt_hwr05 New Member

Thank you for all your help!!!!!
    Shannon
  11. l8ndad

l8ndad New Member

Hi, I have a H&R sportsman 22 and it is just like the one greg described above but mine doesn't have any letters in the serial number. The number is on the front of the grip and is 39406. I tried to order a new part for it from Numrich gun parts but the part doesn't work. Is this the model 999?
  12. l8ndad

l8ndad New Member

Here are some photos also.. I am trying to order a new extractor for it as mine is worn. I ordered the cylinder and extractor but they are not the same. thanks for the help... D

Attached Files:

13. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

yes this is an early model 999 actually a first model 6th variation manufactured between 1937 and 1939. there were eight variations of the first model and many of the variations concerned the cylinder. in order to get the correct part you should send the old part to the supplier so they can see if they have a match. be aware there are no new parts for this model and used parts may not be any better than those in your revolver.
    bill
  14. NuffSaid

NuffSaid New Member

Hi, I have a H&R sportsman 22. The number is on the front of the grip and is D29461. Do you have any idea how old this one is, or approx value in good condition?
  15. b.goforth

b.goforth New Member

nuffsaid,
    the manufacture date is most likely between 1933 and 1937.

SPORTSMAN DOUBLE ACTION MODEL 99 TOP BREAK-------- 1932-1952
    Large frame double action top break revolver; Caliber 22 rimfire (short, long & long rifle) cylinder capacity 9 rounds, 22 Winchester Rim Fire (WRF)cylinder capacity 7 rounds; Safety rim cylinder; blue finish only; barrel length 6 inches (ribbed); Automatic cylinder stop; Sights: rear adjustable for windage only, Three different front sights used, full Blade, Partridge type & Partridge type pinned to barrel top rib, all non-adjustable; Finger rest trigger guard; One piece oversized checkered Walnut grips (birds head grip frame shape, Rice frame); frame mounted firing pin, hammer face is flat. Cylinder release is long pivoting lever on right side of frame (there are two different version of this). Serial numbered in its own series from 01 up to at least 89761 by the end of 1939. Starting in 1940 letter codes were used.
    Early production until about 1933 the letter code ā€œDā€ was used to denote double action
    First Variation; round heavy weight ribbed barrel with Blade non-adjustable front sight -------------------------1932- to before April 18,1933
    Second Variation; adjustable front sight------1933 (after 4-18-1933)-
    Third Variation; firing pin moved to hammer-------------1934
    Fourth Variation; three inch barrel was offered---------------1935
    Fifth Variation; two patent dates marked on cylinder (before there was only one)-----------------------------------1936 (after 3-17)-1937
    Sixth Variation; top of barrel markings moved to right side of barrel----1937-1939
    Seventh Variation; 22 WFR caliber dropped, 3 inch barrel dropped-----1940-1941
    Eight Variation; one piece over size plastic grips are standard, limited production during WWII years-----------1942-1952
    VALUE: 100%=$425 60%=$195 Add 15% premium for 1st Variation; %0% for 22WRF caliber; 30% for 3ā€ barrel (scarce) (See Post 1952 Section for Models 2 & 3)

bill