H&R Sportsman ID and question

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by castlerisk, Jan 15, 2011.

1. castlerisk

castlerisk New Member

i have something of a tough decision here.

I have a Sportsman serial#38281 with all original parts and definately seen it's days in the field as most of the blue is gone and it is pitted and probably cleaned with fine grade sandpaper at some point. I'm not really worried from a value standpoint, but i know the Barrel Catch won't hold a rear sight because the sight screws just slide around.

1. Should I go for a new Barrel Catch, screws, sight from Numrich? I'm leaning this way, but Numrich shows 2 types.
    K Series to AL57489
    AL57489 Series & on
    I'm guessing I'm in the first group but not seeing the AL as part of the serial number i'm not sure.

2. get the screw holes recut and use slightly larger screws to hold the sight
  2. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Castle,
    With that serial number - your SPORTSMAN is a 1st Model and was made mid 1930's. I'd need to see pics of both sides of gun to tell more closely. H&R used at least five different sight blades and sight configurations on the SPORTSMAN series between c. 1932 and 1986. re: The ones cited by Numrich 'K' = 1950 - 'AL' =1973 - neither of these is "proper" for your piece.
    If I were you, I would simply loctite the sight screws in place, after finding the proper windage setting.
    I have a couple dozen SPORTSMAN pieces in my collection - my 'range' piece is one made in late 1932 - early '33 - it has very little finish left but mechanically it is excellent and accuracy is superb.

IMG_0168_2.jpg
    IMG_0183_2.jpg
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  3. castlerisk

castlerisk New Member

have to say it most closely resembles the very bottom picture, except that yours are beautiful!

i didnt even think about using loctite.
    Thanks,
    Jason

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Jason,
    Thanks for the follow-up - your piece looks to be a 1st Model 6th Variation (1937-39) - with the address block stamp moved to the right side of barrel and the cylinder release moved to left side of frame; most likely mid 1937 - from the s/n.
    One of the most common problems with these older Sportsman pieces - is exactly what you've experience - loose screws on the rear sight block. One of the most commonly sought replacement parts is the rear sight blade - which has fallen off due to loose screws. LocTite should work for you - do it before you lose your sight blade. :eek:
    The condition of your piece is similar to the physical condition of my 'range' Sportsman - the other ones (which have taken 16 years of search and upgrades to add to collection) are just too dang nice to risk screwing up. :D
    You're welcome and thanks for thanking.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  5. Old Gun Guy

Old Gun Guy Member

castlerisk,
    I love these older 999's, and I think yours is beautiful in the shape it's in. It looks like a real revolver should look! (Jim, yours are beautiful also!;))
    Old Gun Guy
  6. cruiser

cruiser New Member

I have a question that seems to fit into this old post. Castlerisk asked if the K series or AL series barrel catch was the correct one for his pre-1940 H&R 999. My question is, even though it wouldn't be correct, would of of these fit and work properly on the pre-1940 models? The barrel catch on my older model is not staying latched into place. I have replaced the spring, but the latch still works loose after a couple of rounds and has to be pushed back into place. I would like to try replacing the latch if I thought one of the two latches castlerisk mentioned would work on my model. Does anybody have experience with this?
  7. HossFly

HossFly New Member

Hate to butt in but i love these old Sportsmans!
    The one i have was bought new by my wifes Grandfather - Inherited from her Father- Serial # 260 :) As much plum as blue but still tight & a perfect shooter-

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. cruiser

cruiser New Member

That's a nice one for sure HossFly. Mine's not quite that nice, but also a good shooter and tight except for that latch problem.