H&R Sportsman RESEARCH

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by Jim Hauff, Aug 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lanrezac

Lanrezac Active Member

snOObyrd, thanks for putting up the ratchet picture. That may well help Fatty Sparks if he checks back on this thread. Have you fired yours lately, and does it spit lead?
  2. DanTguN

DanTguN New Member

1) Serial number = D24792
    2) Firing pin = Hammer
    3a) Safety rim on cylinder = Yes
    3b) Patent numbers on cylinder = 2034632, 1904730
    4) Cylinder release = lever on right side
    5) Address location = top of barrel
    6) DA or SA = double action
    7) Front sight = Adjustable

Early 40s. Grandfather received as payment for making a wedding cake or roofing a house way back when.

Has for the most part of it's existence been in a sock under a bed. When it came into my possession 15 years ago, it was fired 18 times and put back in the sock. Recently, my new co-workers expressed interest in shooting and asked me to join them. After a few times at the range, they were noticing that this is getting a little expensive but it was also too much fun to not want to explore other options. I mentioned the cost of 22 bullets and the next weekend we went to the store and I helped them pick out a Ruger mk3 and a Sig Mosquito. Got to the range and I pull out a Single-Six Bi-Centinial edition and the H&R. I love firing the pistol, just wish it wasn't such a collectors item.

Attached Files:

3. sn00byrd

sn00byrd New Member

thank you so much for the info. i appreciate it.
  4. sn00byrd

sn00byrd New Member

I fired it the day that I posted everything. Ran about 200 rounds through it. spits out a little lead every once in a while but not much.
  5. tlbailey1

tlbailey1 New Member

Thank you for having me to the forum, I have a few questions I'd like to try to get some help with before I call my grandfather to give him more info on the revolver he passed down to me. I too have an H.& R. "SPORTSMAN" Double Action 9-shot.

On one side it says: H.&R. "SPORTSMAN" Double Action
    Other side says: Harrington and Richardson Arms Co. Worcester, MASS USA 22 Long Rifle CTG

The cylinder has two numbers: PAT 19047 and 20346 on it, the face has the number 233 twice, and is also located on the inside of the rear sight, serial # is 52233, and appears to be a one piece grip. It does have a pinned front sight. All I know is that my great uncle bought 2 of these a long time ago, and gave my grandpa one of them. I'm trying to find out as much as I can before calling my grandpa. I will be trying to get in touch with my great uncle to see if he still has his, or if one of his sons does, and also the serial number. If so, I'm really hoping to find a consecutive serial number!

Any clues as to which model/variation it is, when it was made, etc.

Also, what type of ammo would be safe to shoot in it? I have a few different kinds, but normally shoot CCI MiniMags, but I have yet to fire it. Here are some pictures I snapped real quick with my phone.

Your help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  6. texasleaguer

texasleaguer New Member

Hello, great forum, great site, great info.
    I just took in trade a H&R Sportsman 999. I'm looking for info.

serial number- AU1632xx
    firing pin- frame
    cylinder release- button on frame
    address location- frame above trigger
    H&R INC. GARDNER MASS. U.S.A. in gold
    DA/SA
    "Sportsman" on left side of barrel in gold.
    22LR, model 999, made in usa on left side of frame? near cylinder, also in gold.
    6" barrel that has rib that isn't milled completely through.
    adjustable front site.
    wood stocks, checkered with diamond around screw, and gold H&R medallion.
    this piece is a hoot to shoot.
    thanks in advance
  7. mattppls1986

mattppls1986 New Member

I have one that I would like info on, and maybe it would help with your research.
    serial no.-A10221( on the frame under when you take the grip off it has 10221 with a Z under it.
    firing pin- on hammer
    patent no- xxx2034 ( could only find one located on the cylinder)
    H&R " SPORTSMAN " DOUBLE ACTION. in two lines on left of the barrel
    address info on the right of the barrel
    cylinder release is a small button directly in front of the cylinder
    one piece wooden wrap around grip

thanks
    Matt
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  8. Heyford

Heyford New Member

Hello Jim and All.

This thread has been educational.
    This is my inherited H&R Sportsman.
    I believe it falls into the late 30's time frame of no prefix
    sn 68312
    last 3 didgit match on cyl
    no model designation.
    fp on hammer
    left side barrel H&R Sportsman Double Action

Thought you might like to see it H&R holster made by Eubanks Leather in Boise, ID.

Regards

Attached Files:

9. Llomatt

Llomatt New Member

I'm brand new to this or any forums so bear with me. I have a nifty H&R 999 that was a gift from a family friend and I love the little pistol. In response to your questions, I will list them in order:
    1. Serial # N70422.
    2. Firing pin on hammer.
    3. No patent applied for markings.
    4. Cylinder release is the small button on left side.
    5. Address on right side of barrel.
    6. Double action.
    7. Pinned with an adjustment screw on front just above crown.

Additionally, it has H&R walnut grips, and came with a very nice fitted holster by "Brauer Bro's Mfg. Co., StLouis (sic)" I would love to learn a bit of the history of this piece, keep up your good research work. Llomatt
  10. Griff64

Griff64 New Member

Hi, I was doing some research when I found this site, and I have some info for your research.

Serial # S13048
    Single pat. number
    Adj. sights front & rear
    Internal firing pin
    Single action
    1 inch long release

I'll try and get some pics up.hope this helps your research if this thread is still alive
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  11. DeweyH

DeweyH New Member

Jim, Here's the date on my H&R Sportsman:
    SN: K 829 ( also same marks on back of cylinder)
    Right side barrel: Harrington and Richardson Arms Co.
    Worcester, Mass, USA
    Left side barrel: H&R Sportsman
    Double Action
    Right side in front of cylinder: 22 long rifle CTC
    Firing pin: On the hammer
    Sight: Adjustable front
    Grip: One piece wood checked

Any info, DOM greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    DeweyH
  12. carle1953

carle1953 New Member

I have two sportsmans that do not seem to fit in.
    Serial #'s 38692, 38693
    Firing pins are on hammer
    Safety rim, No patent dates
    Small Push button release
    No Manufactures address
    DA
    Adjustable front pinned sight
    Two piece grips
    One pistol is serial marked on the side of the frame
    The other is marked on top of frame under the cylinder
    Both pistols have a tapered hole through the backstrap and a milled slot in the bottom of the grip frame. Two xx's appear beside the slots.
    Pistols are marked 1 and 2 on top grip frame.
    I will try and post pictures
  13. kskkommando

kskkommando New Member

I have a h&r sportsman double action 9 shot .22 lr the firing pin is on the hammer and it was made in Harrington & Richardson Arms co. Warcaster, Mass, USA. The seriol # is 73106.
    My questions are:
    When was it made?
    What model is it?

Thanks, Colton
  14. HossFly

HossFly New Member

OK - I have i guess a early 1st production maybe?-
    Double Action
    Serial #260
    Patent Applied For on cylinder & also 260 twice
    Right side marked 22 LONG RIFLE CTG
    Left side H&R Sportsman
    Firing pin in frame
    Front sight non adjustable & pinned
    Rear looks to be adjustable for windage only?
    One piece checkered stocks-
    Finish is bad, i'd like to restore it since it was bought new by my wifes Grandfather & handed down to her Father & now me (he had no sons & I'm the only son'in'law that he felt deserved it since his other two are dummies )
    Real bad indoor phone pic--
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2012
  15. philbart

philbart New Member

It has become apparent, recently, that there are some holes in the H&R SPORTSMAN history and development both in the Double Action 999 and the Single Action 199. More research is warranted to fill in those holes. IF you own any H&R SPORTSMAN and would like to contribute to the research, I would appreciate the following information (pics would be a great asset):
    1. Serial Number (partials are welcome, but entire numbers will help more)?
    AX159195
    2. Firing pin on hammer or mounted in frame?
    Firing pin is mounted in the frame.
    3. Safety rim on cylinder? PATENT APPLIED FOR; one patent number; two patent numbers?
    I am assuming the safety rim is the "guard" on each side of the frame covering the otherwise exposed rounds in the cylinder. If I am correct in my assumption, then the answer to the question is "yes" - there is a safety rim. The safety rim is part of the frame not the cylinder. I do not see any markings indicating a patent application or anything like that on the firearm.
    4. Cylinder release: 1" long lever on right side -or- small push button on left side of frame right in front of cylinder.
    The cylinder release is a small push button on the left side of the frame - right in front of the cylinder.
    5. Location of Manufacturer's address - on top of barrel -or- on right side?
    The location of manufacture is Gardner MA. This is stamped on what I understand to be the left side of the firearm directly below the cylinder.
    6. DA or SA?
    This revolver is DA. It can also be used SA by manually cocking the hammer.
    7. Adjustable or fixed front sight? If fixed - soldered in slot or pinned in slot?
    The front sight is adjustable. There is no rear sight.
    I will try to describe the pistol further. I believe the pistol was purchased new by my father in the late 70s early 80s timeframe. I do not know where he purchased the pistol. I recently acquired the pistol from my father and have done so with a fully legal transfer in the Commonwealth of MA. My understanding is the pistol was used once. My sense is it has had less than 50 rounds fired in it. The pistol is in very good condition. I believe the barrel to be 6 inches. The bluing appears to be in excellent condition. The handle is a two piece walnut grip arrangement with the small H&R logos embedded in each side of the handle above the checkering portion.
    All the stamping (except the serial number) is on what I understand to be the left side of the pistol. The barrel is stamped "SPORTSMAN". The serial number is stamped on the bottom of the handle.
    I have attempted to attach a picture. It is my hope that this was successful.

I am curious what year this pistol was made and what the present value might be. I also have the original cardboard box which is in excellent condition. Any information you have would be welcome. Thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012