H&R Sportsman

Discussion in 'Technical Questions & Information' started by One Shot, Oct 28, 2013.

1. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

Went shooting recently with a friend that has an H&R Sportsman 9 shot .22. He recently inherited it from his father. The B in the serial number indicates it was made in 1941. It has the one piece grip and adjustable front and rear sight.

It does not cock for single action and the double action seems weak. Two of the chambers in the cylinder are also hard to load and unload. We will check the spring as soon as we get a chance.

We have not had a chance to look at it yet but I just wondered if it is worth fixing or if it sounds like it is repairable. By all the threads on these guns, I'm figuring someone has seen this issue before.

Thanks
  2. 45Auto

45Auto Active Member

The Sportsman model has a following of collectors/shooters and they are no longer considered a "cheap" gun. It's worth fixing... But they are not easy to repair.

As for the thumb cocking issue, that could be a spring or a worn down cock notch in the hammer. It's a common problem.

As for the two chambers which are hard to load: it could be that the firing pin dented the edge of the chamber or the chamber might have some rust. It's hard to say w/o looking at it. The first step is to be sure the chambers are clean and free of any rust or fouling.
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  3. steve44

steve44 New Member

Hey One Shot,
    Took my H&R Sportsman, Serial # w/T to a gun s with very similar probs. to yours. Especially on mis-fires on dbl. action. Couple of minor adjs. and $10. and I was back in biz. He re-set the sights and this puppy is 'lights out' at 75yds. BUT, that weak trigger pull concerns me. Personally, and for SAFETY's sake, I wouldn't fool with it. Go for a qualified gunsmith estimate.
    Jeez, now that I thinkabout it, I'm not sure of the model# (inherited from dad).
    But when I break mine down for reload, all 9 casings pushed up and out of the cylinder at the same time.
  4. One Shot

One Shot Active Member

Thanks guys. I'll let him know it is worth fixing.
  5. knight0334

knight0334 Active Member

I concur with the guy a couple posts up about a worn notch on the hammer as possibly causing it to not cock in single action mode. It is common on H&R's and my "B" year Sportsman suffered the same issue. You might be able to take a file a deepen the notch, then hone/polish the contact surface for smooth release. Or it may require a hammer replacement. Another thing to look at is the sear - sometimes they get worn down. The sear spring is another thing as well. If it is weak, it will not push on the sear hard enough to engage the notch. And lastly, old oils and greases may have waxed up and filled the notch, or inhibit the working of the sear.

With it having a weak double action - a weak main(hammer) spring.

With two chambers having issues - check to see if some idiot dry fired the gun and peened the top of the chamber or roughness in the chamber. If it was dry fire peened - most gunsmithing supply shops have a reamer that will clean it up. If a rough chamber - polishing/honing the chamber will help. You might also want to look at how the extractor matches up on the cylinder. It too may need some work, which in the car industry it would be called "port matching".