H&R Sportsman

Discussion in 'The Ask the Pros & What's It Worth? Forum' started by marianne, Jan 15, 2010.

1. marianne

marianne New Member

My friend's father passed away and he inherited a H&R Sportsman, 22 LR CTC, top break, 6inch barrel handgun. Warcaster, Mass. Double Action. 9 round.
    On the grip is B1618
    His father won it at a sportsman club raffle around 1965.
    Handguns did not have to be registered until after 1968.
    He was wondering when it was manufactured, and does he have to register it?
    And who that is through?
    Thanks in advance
    Marianne
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  2. RJay

RJay Active Member

He won it in 1958? The serial number was used by H&R in 1941. I don't know where you live nor the state laws there. T he Federal Gun Control Act , as far as I know , had nothing to do with registering handguns. In most states handguns do not have to be registered. Some states have laws that to purchase a handgun the purchased has to be registered and have a permit. A call to your local law enforcement can clear it up or if you want to list your state of residence I'm sure someone on the board can fill you in on any requirements.
  3. marianne

marianne New Member

pennsylvania
  4. Jim Hauff

Jim Hauff New Member

Marianne,
    I sell guns, work for a PA dealer - PA law does not require registration of handguns or any other firearms. Right of inheritance allows your friend to legally possess his father's firearms, in PA.